Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Five strings pickups replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Franky, Nov 21, 2000.

1. I Everybody,

I have a '97 Fender five strings deluxe jazz bass and I want to replace the stock pickups. They sound really muddy and I don't like them. I'm looking for pickups who's gonna give me the warm and the real growl of a jazz bass but I have a limited choice for a five strings. Maybe Bartolini?Does anybody have made this kind of change on this bass before?

Thank you in advance!

Franky

2. ThumpNPluck

ThumpNPluck

Jun 22, 2000
    New York City
    I've been looking for pickups like this as well, although I've also been holding out for humbuckers, 'cause I can't stand the hum with single coils. Bartolini's are great pickups, but they don't really sound like Jazz pickups (IMO). I've heard good things about Basslines, but I haven't tried them. I'm hoping that Dimarzio comes up with a 5-string pickup soon.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I played a Jazz with Aero pickups, http://www.aeroinstrument.com , and they sounded terrific. The owner got them because he said pretty much the same thing you describe. Last year their J Bass 4 won a Bass Player Top Tone Award. Let us know what you decide.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-28-2000 at 11:52 AM]

4. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    hey franky

I recomend you to get basslines AJB5 (active) or SJB5(pssive, stacked humbucker)

They are coolsounding and very versatile :)
    anyway, i change my stock MIM jazzbass pickups with EMG jassbazz for 4 string......and it's really really cool. nice slap tone !!

If you have got the replacement pickups, will you sell the fender stock pickup to me ??? I'm working on my project bass and I'm looking for cheap 2nd hands pickup for 5 string.......tell me if you interested

j3b3r@yahoo.com

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey, ThumpNpluck, I think DiMarzio DOES make 5-string jazz pups. They haven't updated their website for a while, but if you get a catalog from them, I think you'll see the 5-stringers listed.