1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Five strings...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ak50324, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ak50324

ak50324

Jul 30, 2005
    I am planning on buying a five string jazz, and have a few questions:

1. I was wondering if I could string a hgh C on instead of the B, since I never need to go THAT low. The sustain will probably be bad, but will this work out well?

2. Would a five string jazz basses neck(probable an SX, maybe the fender) be only slightly larger than the P bass neck? I love playing with those thin necks, but the width seems unnatural=five strings!

3. What would be the most growling(Geddy lee style) pick-ups? I was thinking of getting some dimarzio ultra jazzes.

2. rbrown13

rbrown13 supporting member

Sep 9, 2005
    bakersfield ca,
    I have owned two fender standard five string jazz basses, first the neck is wider than a p bass neck, by about 3/16 of an inch, second, to run the high C you will have to have a new nut made, because running the E-C the nut slots will be to wide and will cause the strings to rattle in the slots, on one of the jazz v basses I owned, I installed a set of bartolini passive pickups, and it had a far more vesatile sound. the only reason I don't own either of these basses anymore is that IMO they have the worst B string, very floppy, I hope this helps you on your purchase.