Fiver With Decent String Spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Apr 24, 2002.

1. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry if I am just repeating a post that has been done over and over, I haven't been visiting the message boards for awhile here and I'm a bit behind on everything.

Ok here is the deal, I'm currently playing a Cort Curbow 4 and I really love it. I have an Ibanez SR 405 which I am selling. Although I really like my Curbow I also want either a five or a six string (hopefully a nice six if I can ever afford one). I really just want a bass that I can be satisfied with and not have to keep looking around at basses. Now the problem is I like wide string spacing, my Ibanez of course has terrible string spacing and I'm looking for something wider then that. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some 5 or 6 string basses with a more comfortable spacing (I won't really be doing any slapping on this bass, thats why I own the Curbow in the first place).

As for my financial situation I don't want to spend too much. Im turning 16 in a month then getting a job and I'm looking to spend under $1,000. Hopefully somewhere in the $800 range. Thanks a lot for any help.
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  3. If you want to stay Ibanez, you can do a lot worse than a BTB515.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As Peter said, a BTB would be a good option. They have 3/4" spacing at the bridge, which is what Fender 4 bangers have.

Another good option is the MTD Kingston 5, it also has 3/4" spacing.

Or you could find a used Warwick wideneck, or Pedulla Rapture with the wideneck option.

Both of those would be closer to $1000.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The two bass types that I have found to have the widest string spacing are Ken Smith and Yamaha TRBs.

The Ken Smith's have always been out of my price range in the UK, but I have owned a Yamaha TRB6P and have tried the new TRB5P and TRB6P - these are great basses - pro standard - Jamiroquai's bassist Nick Fyffe is using one live! And they're not too expensive either - considering what you get!
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Modulus Quantum 5 Wide = 22.25mm spacing
    Warwick SSI 5 = 20mm

Regular 4 string = 19mm
  7. Yeah I loooovvvvveeeee the string spacing on the wide Quantums...