1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fiver With Decent String Spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Apr 24, 2002.

1. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry if I am just repeating a post that has been done over and over, I haven't been visiting the message boards for awhile here and I'm a bit behind on everything.

Ok here is the deal, I'm currently playing a Cort Curbow 4 and I really love it. I have an Ibanez SR 405 which I am selling. Although I really like my Curbow I also want either a five or a six string (hopefully a nice six if I can ever afford one). I really just want a bass that I can be satisfied with and not have to keep looking around at basses. Now the problem is I like wide string spacing, my Ibanez of course has terrible string spacing and I'm looking for something wider then that. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some 5 or 6 string basses with a more comfortable spacing (I won't really be doing any slapping on this bass, thats why I own the Curbow in the first place).

As for my financial situation I don't want to spend too much. Im turning 16 in a month then getting a job and I'm looking to spend under $1,000. Hopefully somewhere in the $800 range. Thanks a lot for any help.

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  3. If you want to stay Ibanez, you can do a lot worse than a BTB515.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

As Peter said, a BTB would be a good option. They have 3/4" spacing at the bridge, which is what Fender 4 bangers have.

Another good option is the MTD Kingston 5, it also has 3/4" spacing.

Or you could find a used Warwick wideneck, or Pedulla Rapture with the wideneck option.

Both of those would be closer to $1000.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The two bass types that I have found to have the widest string spacing are Ken Smith and Yamaha TRBs.

The Ken Smith's have always been out of my price range in the UK, but I have owned a Yamaha TRB6P and have tried the new TRB5P and TRB6P - these are great basses - pro standard - Jamiroquai's bassist Nick Fyffe is using one live! And they're not too expensive either - considering what you get!

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Modulus Quantum 5 Wide = 22.25mm spacing
    Warwick SSI 5 = 20mm

Regular 4 string = 19mm

7. Yeah I loooovvvvveeeee the string spacing on the wide Quantums...