1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fix an oldhead or buy a new one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vacume, May 12, 2006.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    Well my freind basicly gave me a 20 year old Traynor monoblock II head that sounds like crap and the cost to repair it would be 185$ or i could buy a used galien krueger 400rb head for 300$ canadian, wut to do?

2. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    just depends on what sound u like I guess. I'd buy a new one but I'm a GK fan myself.

3. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    wut kind of sound would i get with a traynor?

4. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Fix the Traynor; sell it for more than what it cost to fix; buy the GK, and you should have a bit of $$ left over.

5. I will take the traynor off your hands. Pm me if you really want to ditch it.

6. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I'd save up and buy new.

Gear failure is intolerable to me.

If a piece breaks down, I ditch it.

I can never trust it after its been repaired, and I don't want to carry a backup.

If you're going to buy used, I'd go for the one in best working condition and cross my fingers.

7. I'm not attacking you or anything, but this is a really wierd attitude to take.

Very often, an amp that's been repaired will be more reliable than it was from the factory. For instance, if I have an amp in for a repair...say something like a broken solder joint...i'll fix that solder, and while I have the board up, i'll re-heat all the solders on the board that see mechanical stress. They are given more attention than they were at the factory in most cases (where a machine most likely did the work). I tighten everything up, amke sure there are no loose connectors or wires...give the whole amp a once over.

If you have, say, 2 GK400Rb's sitting right next to one another, and I know amp A is brand new out of the box, and amp B has been opened up and a competant tech reheated the solders and gave the amp a once over, tightening cable ties, pushing spade connectors on nice and tight, tightening up pot and jack nuts to reduce freeplay...i'd take that amp over amp A every time. Weather or not it was a problem that lead to the amp being opened up.

If the problem is fixed correctly and reoccurs...it's a design flaw, and no less likely to happen to another amp that hadn't had that problem yet.

Just my 2 cents.

-Nick

8. :bassist: :hyper:

Bingo. Although those old traynor heads sound killer, so once it's fixed right, you may not want to get rid of it.

As to repaired amps, ditto to what he said ^ If you have a competent repair tech that repaired amp will be more reliable than a new one from the factory.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Buy new, and den figure out wut to do wit the Traynor.

I would have no problem buying a used amp, especially given that I am my own tech. But in this case, I would consider a new Backline 600 head (click my sig for a review). It has considerably more power than the 400RB, probably lower noise, and a warranty. And the price is not much more. The 400RB should be an option if it is a lot cheaper, or if you are particularly fond of its sound.

10. Repair it.

11. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Put it on eBay w/a reserve. It didn't cost you anything, right? You'll still sell it, even unrepaired, and have some cash towards a working head.