1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fix electronics or run passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by all-world, Dec 25, 2017.

1. all-world

all-world

Dec 18, 2017
    Hi, all. I got this Rogue LX405 Series II, not III, for next to nothing. It's just what I wanted, and the pickups sound fine passive.

20171225_092518 (003).

But for anyone else who has this bass, how are the electronics?

The wires that attach to the 9-volt battery are frayed so it shorts out when you run it active. I think I can fix it myself, but I wanted to check with other owners to see if it would be worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.

2. Just tape up the wires & see how it sounds:

If they're kaput, you can wire it up V/V/T/B (Volume/Volume/Treble cut/Bass cut)

3. all-world

all-world

Dec 18, 2017
    Can't really. Frayed wires are too close to clip, which is also torn. Was just going to snip the wires, get a new clip and twist the wires together.

4. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I'd just solder on a new clip and call it good. If you don't have a nearby place to buy one, then rob one from a junk device laying around, or from the cheapest new/used device you can find that has one. Easier than rewiring the thing anyway.

5. all-world

all-world

Dec 18, 2017
    Thanks for the advice. Soldering and I don't get along too well. I'm going to run it passive for a while and go from there.

Killed_by_Death likes this.