Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fix little scratches

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Samie, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    How can I fix a little varnish scratch on the bass head. A tiny piece chipped away the other day after a small accidental hit. The wood was un-harmed. I found the chipped piece of varnish and glued it and it now looks ok. You can't tell unless you take a close look, however I would like to get it perfectly fixed sometime.

Who do I go to? the luthier? a guitar maker? can I do it myself?

No paint on the bass, just plain wood and orange tainted varnish. (TRB style)

{edited by merlin} i just fixed a couple of grammatical errors, umm you had "no pain on the bass" figured it was paint as well, thats a mighty hi tech bass to have feelings...;)

2. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    It sounds like youhave done a pretty good repair already!

If it's really a "varnish" there is probably not a much better repair than what you have done. Varnish is a "cold" finish (lacquer is "hot") in that additional applications do not chemically bond themselves into prior layers. Lacquer's actually soften the prior coats and melt in a bit.

If you hadn't found the chip and glued it back there would be other (worse) solutions.

I'm not a paint pro but noticed no one had replied.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Now that the chip is back in place, I suspect the old "Super Glue and razor blade" trick will work fine. See Frank Ford's site www.frets.com - I think he covers it there. Basically, you put a drop of super glue on the damaged area, let it dry, and scrape it down with a masked single edge razor blade followed by a polish. Five minutes, start to finish, for most little fixes.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i don't really care about scratches, but if i did care, i would probably just cover up the scratch with duct tape, the handyman's secret weapon.