1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fix The Old Rig Or A New One

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by themaninthesuit, Nov 16, 2002.

  1. themaninthesuit


    Nov 16, 2002
    At the moment i have a Hartke 2000 Head going into a 410TP Cab (not the best stuff but it does) and i recently realised that there is a hiss coming from the cab when i turn up the treble a bit (which for the tone i use most i need to)

    Is this the valve showing age or is it the actuall electrics? can i fix it or is there nothing i can do to fix this.

    If i do need a new rig i was looking at an ampeg not cos oh so and so my hero plays it but cos all my fave tones come out of an ampeg.

    Are there any i should keep away from and could you suggest what ones are the top choises. I could maybe run to a SVT PRO head but it would have to be second hand and they are very hard to locate in the uk, as i was brousing all sources i could before i got the hartke and the amount of bass gear up for sale was minimal.

    also dont even say get an eden or agular etc as there is no way i could ever afford one....well maybe once unis been and gone but not now.

  2. Well, mail order a new tube and put it in yourself for less than $10 and try it, before shelling out big bucks for a new rig. All you gotta do is take the cover off, pull the tube out, and put the new tube in, no adjusting required. Oh and replace the cover.

    You can get tubes cheap from Triode Electric www.triodelec.com or Parts Express www.partsexpress.com

    Although I have a Hartke 5000 I haven't had to change the tube, but I expect it's a 12AX7, pull the cover off and look to see.

Share This Page