Fix up current bass, or start from scratch?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muttluk, Jan 26, 2001.

1. OK, i have a MIM Fender Jazz, and i have a few problems with it. For one, the bridge is messed up, saddles drop down and shift around when i play, gotta re-set intonation, and hight after every long session of playing. There is a ton of fret buzz anywhere past the 7th fret on the A and D strings. Also, i am not particularly happy with the pickups, ever since i played a Fender 62RI Jazz, i've been frowning at my bass. Now, The good things about this bass is that i love the feel this ones got, and i am pretty sure its cause i've broken in the neck so to say. (basicly rolled my own edges). so... here's the options... Drop in som CS 60's, New bridge (most likely Badass II) and hopefully that will also fix the fret buzzing. I know its not the Truss rod, because i've checked that numerous times. OR... I start saving my pennies, and buy a new bass, possibly that 62 RI, or maybe Geddey Lee Sig. (havent played one, but have heard exellent things, maybe go with a MM sterling, or somthing cheeper, possibly a MIA Jazz. Any recomendations on other basses? Also, i dont really like active basses (except the Stearling, which i'm not to sure if i like it or not, gotta run them aganst the others) i'm pretty partial to my passives. I play a lot of Rock, Punk, smidge of Blues, basicly everything but country.

What do all of you think i should do?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm ... ordinarily, I'd say it's time for a new bass ... but I say that when one of my basses needs new strings. This one sounds salvageable. I'd keep it and fix it up as you suggested, although I'd consider some Basslines in it.
  3. Thanks for the advice, i think i'm going to start with a new bridge, and some new strings. The bridge is the most messed up on the bass, and i think that and the strings will probly help the bass out a bunch. Also, if i do end up swaping out the PU's, i dont know for sure what kinds i want to drop in. I am only heavily considering the CS 60's, because i figure it will be most like the 62 RI sounding, and from the reviews i've read from everyone, they've gotta be pretty good.
  4. the fret buzzing might be a high fret, a quality set-up might fix the problem completely
  5. I dont konw if it is or not, but i do know that it didnt always have the fret buzz. the fret buzz had started about 1 or 2 months ago, starting wiht only up in the 14th or 15th frets of those strings, and then spreading out. and i know that its not that the strings are too low, because i have the bass setup to fender specs. so i'm pretty sure its the bridge, because also, no matter how hard i hit the strings, it will buzz.
  6. you can try tightening the truss rod a little, that might help, but im an idiot, so dont take any of my advice too seriosuly
  7. If you're getting buzz on all the frets past a certain point, probably you need more string height, not more neck relief (bow). Getting rid of buzz is a matter of a balance of relief and string height. When you play the bass real hard and get an equal amount of buzz at all frets, you have these two factor balanced.
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It seems like your leaning this way already, but I'll still through in my $0.02. Try replacing the bridge first. If the new bridge doesn't improve things much, it may be time to put the $$$ you were going to invest in pickups towards that '62 Jazz RI.
  9. Yeah, i that was kinda was i was planing to do, but just wanted to see if anyone else could help me out before i decide i wanna go spend another $1,000 on equipment.