Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fix up my old Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, lately ive begun thinking about something. My first bass was a 1993 that Fender MIM Jazz, candy apple red. I bought it used in decent shape, not great but not terrible. I played it for about a year before realizing that i wanted something else, and i sold it to a friend. He used it for a little while, but then he claims the electronics just stopped working, and he wanted something else too so he bought a different bass.

Now, i think he still has it sitting in his case at home. Its had some work done to it.. while my friend played it,the nut broke and the bridge was replaced with some standard fender replacement thing. The new nut is not the greatest and needs to be replaced.. also i tihnk the bridge should be replaced as well.

THings i remember about the bass.. the G string was too close to the edge to be played easily when doing pull offs and such.

If i were to buy it back from him id want to replace the pickups, nut, and bridge.

Basically id like to have my first bass in my posession, even if it doesnt get played, id like it to be in workable condition for those times when you feel like reminiscing.
    Any bridge that has adjustable string spacing that would fit on this bass? SOmething where i could move the G string (and everything) over a bit or something.
    The nut was bought from basspartswarehouse.com (i tihnk tahts the site) and it required tons of sanding to fit , id like something better and simpler to install.
    For the pickups, its a 1993 so it was before fender made the neck one smaller, so im not sure what id do here. I might just put a set of used MIMs that i find in there, anything else that would fit?
    I could buy 2 of the bridge model of another brand i spose, right?

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea, you could do the work. If the bass means alot to you, you should. Otherwise, I dont see the point. Take the $ and save up for a nice jazz. Good luck

Rob

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    itd purely be a sentimental value thing, id never play it really. We'l see.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Ok. Cool. Enjoy

Rob

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The work and replacement parts are a piece of cake...I'd say do it.
    As far as a bridge and G-string issue; a cheap alternative would be to install an american 62RI bridge because it has the threaded saddles. With those threaded saddles you could set the G string a little more inward from the neck edge, and also when you install a new nut just place it accordingly, or make a brass one and cut your own grooves where you need them.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I actually think tahts the kind of bridge that is on there now. Hmm

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You will need two neck pickups, and Reverend is selling some for $20 each. That's what I'd do.

8. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Remember, any improvements don't increase the value significantly. before I'd do anything to your bass, make sure the fret life is good because a good fret job costs more than your bass is worth. Most people replace their bridge with a BadAss and this is for many good reasons. As far as the pickups go, you can easily find ones that will fit into your bass. Just specify when you order it. I have 3 jazzes with upgraded pickups and pre's. EMG, Barts, SD Quarter Pounders are all good depending on you cup of tea. i think the OBP-1 is an amazing value because it will completely change the sound of your bass.

TO PUT IT INTO PERSPECTIVE. One of my MIJ Jazz Basses cost me $450. I have over $300. into it. Its value is still only $450. Good luck.

9. gaffster

gaffster

Jan 20, 2006
    florida
    ..yes..he's right-on...-or- get a bone replacement nut and a few tapered round files. the e string usually sits at 50% depth, and the g string sits flush in the nut. when filing angle the file slightly down towards the tuning head so the strings don't hang when tuning. as far as spacing you can go by eye with the bass strung up.. sounds like your neck may be a bit crooked...
    cheers..:)

10. Marshman

Marshman

Feb 15, 2006
    All the upgrades are well within the limits of the typical DIY-er. Pick up any of Dan Erlwwines' books and you'll get the idea for any and all of the repairs you seek. At the very least, you'd have an idea what to ask your local repair tech/luthier for.

For a scant few bucks, you can acquire all the tools necessary to level/dress your own frets. I own 3 fretted basses and half a dozen guitars, most of which have already benefitted from the skills I've mentioned. One or two DIY set-ups will pay for the tools easy.

My MIJ Jazz cost me $450 ( in 1990). I put @ $200 into it, and I reckon it's worth less than $450 now, but still worth plenty to me.

And I still have my first bass. It needs xome TLC, but I will get it working better than when I got it.

11. gaffster

gaffster

Jan 20, 2006
    florida
    again i agree.. lots-o practical experience on this board !!!
    Here is the deal.. be afraid.. be very afraid.. or learn the details. enjoy the science and neva, neva, neva sweat a bass setup or modification again.. GO FOR IT !!!!:bassist:

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im very knowledgable when it comes to guitar setups, i do all my own as well as setups for lots of fellow musicians, no problems there, this isnt really about doing a setup, this thread was an inquire mostly about which parts would be best for the job.

Pickups?
    Nut?
    Bridge?

thats it.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just talked to the guy and offered to buy it back from him; he said he'd give it back to me free of charge, since it needs some work and he has no need for it, its been sitting in a closet.

14. cool man, then go for it, even if all you do is leave it in your closest or stand or whatever, you have your first bass back.

after that modding/fixing it will be totally up to you, at least you got it back.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the bridge is okay to leave on there .. its the genuine fender 'vintage' bridge, plain and simple, and it should be okay. Ill take a look at the nut.. i dont remember how poorly it was filed, if its fine ill leave it, if not ill change it.

Pickups definitely will go though.

So basically the purpose of this thread now is to find what replacement pups would work, ie: i need 2 that are the bridge size.

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Why do you think you need bridge pickups? Did you read my previous post?

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm Neck pickups, alright. I missed that.

18. Marshman

Marshman

Feb 15, 2006
    That, my man, is a whole new ball o' wax. If you want useful guidance regarding p'up replacement, you'd best start with a loose definition of the tone you'd like to hear when you play the bass. Bass players don't have the headache of a million different types of replacement p'ups that six-stringers do, but there are surely different models suited to different types of music.

19. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Those Reverend pickups at $20 per would be a good deal. Nice that you've had this one "come back home to roost". I can also recommend a jazz wiring kit from guitarpartsresource.com to put good pots, wiring, and a jack in there. Buy some adhesive backed copper foil to shield it and you'll have it reworked for < $100 total.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The reverends certainly would be great. Since it probably wouldnt get played except for when im bored and feel like messing around, the price is attractive. Although you never know, im a lot better at setting up basses tahn i was back when i owned this, so i miht be able to get it playing nicely.

Is reverend selling the pickups direct?

$40 for pickups is always a great deal, especialyl ones that sound as nice as reverend.

As far as pots, i have a set of new 500k pots that i got from basspartsresource that i was going to put in a bass a while back. Woudl 500k be too trebely on a jazz?