1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixed LPF...does this exist?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by beggar98, Mar 16, 2009.

1. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was playing around with my POG the other night and got some very cool tones with only the dry signal going through the LPF slider set very low. No octave down, no +1, +2 or detuned voices at all. Obviously, this is not a good use of this amazing pedal, but I was wondering if a pedal exists that is just a fixed low-pass filter? It could probably be done in a small MXR-sized enclosure with two knobs, one for the filter and one for output level. Keep in mind, I don't want something that is envelope triggered. Too difficult to get a consistent tone. Hope someone knows something...

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's a classic use of the DOD FX25, among other envelope filters. Set the sensitivity to zero and you've got a fixed lowpass!

3. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Well, the Moog LPF can be fixed, you can turn the envelope portion off. Granted its expensive and its a big friggin pedal, but it will do what you're looking for

4. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    +1 on the moogerfooger mf-101
    good graphic eq's can do the same thing if you pull out all higher frequencies.

5. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Moog is a bit of overkill. I've tried the FX25, but I'll play with it some more now that I have the Q-tron+ for my filter needs.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The two options I would have suggested have already been named. The DOD FX25 works great just by rolling off the sensitivity. My only problem with it is that I really don't know what the cutoff frequency is. When I had mine, I actually ran it i the loop of a blender to get a mostly lowpassed signal with a bit of dry mixed in.

The Moog is the big daddy. I like it for dub (and some electronica stuff) primarily because I can dial in the exact frequency I want. Plus, if you add an expression pedal to the cutoff it opens up a lot more possibilities.

7. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    It's kind of big and expensive, but with the Grinder you can turn the envelope generator off and select from 4 different frequency ranges in lowpass, bandpass, or highpass.

That said, I think the FX25 is a great choice.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Is the FX25 lowpass or bandpass?

9. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    bandpass with a low Q I think, but I think that in a blind listening test most would think it was surely a lowpass filter.

10. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    So after playing with FX25 a bit, I can't quite get the tone I'm after.

I had set the slider on the POG to right around where the filter starts to open up. The FX25 is too round with the sensitivity off. I know the Moog would do it, but again that's overkill. If I wanted to use a $300+ pedal for this, I could just use my POG.

I guess what I'm asking is how complicated would this pedal be: two knobs, one for volume (not sure if it would be best before the filter, like in the POG, or after as a master volume. Same either way, right?) and one to set the filter? I guess it would be similar to the Dunlop Q-zone, but a LPF instead of BPF and tailored for bass. I don't think it exists yet, but there would definitely be a market for it. So, who do I get to build it for me? I'm thinking Barge...

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The current BYOC DOD 440 clone has a "fixed wah" switch, you can turn the envelope follower off and set the static filter frequency with a third knob. Could be a good cheap option.

12. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    EBS WahOne (and Stanwah?) LPF mode

13. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    This looks like a winner. I actually just bought a soldering set-up and was looking at some different pedal kits from GGG, but maybe I'll try this one. Anyone with build experience able to comment on how easy/difficult this build might be for a beginner? Link here.

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Not too difficult, there's not many components. These filters sound great, I've been thinking about putting an expression control on my Tonefactor 442 but don't want to ruin it!

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Ibanez LF-7

16. I had a BYOC filter and that is exactly correct.

The frequency shift wasn't perfectly smooth, but since it's a BYOC pedal you could probably tweak it a little to get what you're after.