Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fixed My Exaust

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Feb 6, 2006.

1. well, my car's been running like a drunk dog (89 daihatsu charade "stratos"), very loud, loss of power, and my mate who's a apprentice mechanic had a look at it today, and it turns out the exaust pipe out of the engine to the muffler was welded together and the weld had basically collapsed, so until i can get it into work and re-weld it (im only keeping it another 4-6 months then im getting a suzuki vitara :hyper: ) this is how we fixed it:D

[​IMG]

funniest thing is...it worked!, it still makes a little noise but idles better and has alot more power, well, considering its a 1.0l 3 cyl, it has more power than it did:D

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That looks cool but I don't think it will last too long. It gets very hot that close to the motor. If you can, find something a little heavier.

3. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Nothin like some good ol Shade tree mechanickin'.

4. You forgot the wad of bubblegum. It'll never hold!

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And where, may I ask, is the duct tape? Hmmmm?

6. Yeah, no kidding. Way to go, McGuyver!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah i predict it melting in a short amount of time. My brothers car had a similiar repair done to it and it did not last very long.

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I had a couple of old Isuzu trooper that were always on the verge of breaking down. I used coat hanger wire to hold up the exhaust on one of them and it came in handy one day when I lost my truck key at an amusment park. I just went under the truck and broke off a bit and used it to break in.

9. Oh man! That's classic!

ummmm, Coke. Classic Coke, right?:D

BTW, I printed that picture and hung it up at the shop I work in. It got a few giggles. Thanks.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You should get a cheap Kodak camera to have around the shop when cobb-jobs like that come in, that way you can start a scrapbook of DIY "repairs".

I don't think there's enough bandwidth here to share the stories of the rigged up home repairs I've seen.

11. That is amazing.

Thank you for brightening up my otherwise icy and miserable day.

12. you know whats even more hilarious, on the way to work this morning, theres been some "road works" done....i poped one of my back tyres:meh: .....luckily the spare had air in it, im taking the car into work and getting one of the fitters to weld the exaust for me this week

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    How many of you have pissed in youre radiator? Well the whole band did! But thats another very long story!:meh:

14. no....just, no...thats taking it too far

15. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well we woul dhave used beer buttttttttt

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Are Coke cans aluminum in Aussieland? Here in America they are, & I cant imagine it'd last for longer than a month, due to the intense heat generated by exhaust.