Fixed my nut with a dowel (pics)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OOD, Oct 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    My nut broke at the lowest string on my affinity jazz, so I used a wooden dowel to fix it. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me. I have zero repair skills and I'm not advising anyone to use this method.

I basically shaped the dowel with a pocket knife to fit in the slot that broke off. Then I glued it on with gorilla glue and shaped the groove with a round wound string and my knife. I only did this because I didn't want to pay to have it fixed properly. It's a little off but I'm waiting for new strings before I do anymore to it.

This bass is tuned BEAD.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

BTW before I did this, I was using the first fret as the nut. I simply tuned the B string up to C. The only down side to that was I couldn't play the low B and there was slightly more fret buzzing.

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    If it works for you, good deal. :)

OOD and Roberto Nunez like this.
  3. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    i wouldn't try this with my main bass, but since this is a back up I tend to be more adventurous with it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It'll work until you can make a proper nut. Nice ingenuity.

CentralCoastBass and OOD like this.
  5. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Just curious, you think using the thicker gauge B string could have caused the nut to crack?
    I tried that tuning with a set of 5 string bass strings on a beater 4 string Affinity but filed the nut a bit wider for the B string. (Whew, that's a lot of "strings" in one sentence) worked out fine.
    I liked having the lower notes and figured this would be a good way to explore life with a 5 string without actually investing in one. Haven't bought a fiver....yet.

OOD likes this.
  6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Not bad. I once pulled off a similar "McGuyver" repair using a piece of folded note paper.

OOD likes this.
  7. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    a hooker usually works for me............

8. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    I also filed the slots so the bigger strings would fit and I feel sure I did a bad job of it causing it to break off.

I bought a five string before trying BEAD, but I ended up selling it because 4 strings were more comfortable and I didn't miss the higher notes.

I also tried DGCF for a while because I never play lower than D, but the note placement is much more convenient with BEAD, in my opinion.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Based on the split, you didn't make the string slot wide enough and the string did the rest.

10. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    I'll have to take your word for it. I don't no much about the physics of it. Thanks for the info, I'll watch out for that in the future.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021