Fixed my wiring, basically...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zebra, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Well, I finally got around to rewiring my disembowled P. It's nice to know That I'm not incapable of soldering. I was suprised it worked.
    Well, the way it was BEFORE it was disembowled, the volume pot had three settings: full, partial, and off. When the volume was anything less than 100%, the tone would automatically change to 100% and the tone knob would be rendered useless.
    Now, the volume works fine, but when it's less than 100%, the tone acts as as a second volume. I don't understand how I managed that, but oh well. I'm not going back in there.
    So for future reference, can anyone explain exactly how things work, like what each lug on the pots do, and all that. I'd like to know why the wirings do what they do, not just follow a diagram, as that's be much for helpful. I also want to change out the pickups later, and, ideally, add a new one.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

a pot is a variable resistor with a wiper (connector) attached to the middle lug that tracks a carbon arched path that connects to the other two lugs. Looking at the pot back typically left lug is input, center (wiper) output, and right ground. As the stem is turned counterclockwise it travels at extremes along the carbon path from input to ground. This both increases the resistance between input and output and decreases resistance between output and ground. Volume is in effect turned "off" because the hot lead is shorted to ground and bass increased in a tone pot because resistance is decreased and treble tone bled off.

You may have followed a diagram basing connections on the pot stem facing up which reverses connections. Most diagrams are assumed to have the stem facing down since that's how it looks from the control bay which is the observation perspective for installation. A diagram correctly followed will yield appropriate results with no understandng whatsover of the process involved. It helps to have some understanding of function otherwise if it doesn't work there's no basis to draw from for trouble-shooting.

You can pick up a cheap "armed" ohmmeter for about $15 and watch the sweep of the wiper on the meter as resistance varies in a pot. If you're going to tech your own instruments you're going to need a meter for a lot of things from checking voltage in 9v batteries to checking ground connections.