1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixed/Parked Wah Discussion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Unrepresented, May 31, 2012.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    So, I'm intrigued by this concept, of bumping up range of frequency and getting all kinds of nasty with it, without the excess weight or modicum of inner ear functionality that are associated with a standard wah.

My interweb searches have provided a number of pedals that can offer this, but TB seems to be relatively mute on the subject of how well it can work.

Implementation would either be with my Xotic X-blender, or parallel amped, likely following a dirt pedal (I'm assuming this thing is going to dump low end, like crazy).

Jekeko Wah and Wilson Parked Wahs both are leading the pack in terms of GAS, but I leave it to you, good citizens of TB Effects forum, to convince me that:

a) paying more for a less functional wah than one would normally pay for a fully functioning one is sensible.

b) that this purchase will achieve the sonic awesome-itude that's dancing around in my head.

c) I will find places to actually utilize this in a band mix.

Discuss.

2. A decent EQ (preferably parametric or at least semi-parametric) could probably pull off the same thing. If you don't plan on moving it that much it will suffice.

3. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I would think you'd have to have a fairly sophisticated parametric eq to get both the narrow Q necessary to dial in the selected frequency plus roll off the corresponding octaves the way a wah would. No? Close enough for jazz?

Are there any multiband parametric eq pedals available in that price range?

4. Of the Wilson? A good parametric would probably run a bit more than that, though it would also be more versatile and possibly worthwile for that as well. Most EQs are usually 15 dB either way, I don't recall exactly what a wah does. I think most are 2-pole which an EQ could probably get close to. Maybe bump one up a bit for the resonance. Honestly it wouldn't be exactly the same as a fixed wah but it would probably be passable.

As far as brands, I know the Empress gets recommendations around here and I believe WMD makes a decent one.

Another less expensive option is to pick your wah of choice and rehouse it in something smaller. You might have to replace the pot but I think it would still be less expensive than the others and you'd be getting something you already like the sound of.

Also as far low-end loss, which kind of wah do you like, lowpass or bandpass? The former will of course leave more lows intact but it might be less prominent depending on the filter's resonance.

5. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, the Empress is $250 (and looks really sweet), and the Wilson Parked Wah is $140, so there's definitely a price difference in return for functionality. Honestly, if I'm going to go with an eq purchase, I'd prefer to get a rack mounted one that'd be for legitimate "always on" tone shaping, as opposed to a resonant filter purchase (which is what I'd envisioned with this). Though, I agree with you, if it was able to pull that function off, it'd be much more versatile.

There does seem to be some BYOC type designs out there for parked wahs. I'm recalling that Tim Commerford had some secret box of awesome that was forged from the ashes of a former wah pedal. That's part of the intrigue, I'll be honest. If I didn't have a history of self-immolation when exposed to soldering guns, it'd probably be a good project.
    I'm open to either since I have a blender or will run in in parallel rigs, so low end loss isn't as high a concern as channeling Kerry King.:D

theunknowndude likes this.
  6. It looks like the WMD would hit the sound better as it has knobs to adjust Q. It is pricier though.

If you're going for just the parked wah sound, then it would be easier to get the parked wah. BYOC sells preassembled kits as well, so soldering need not be a concern. You can also find someone who would be willing to rehouse a wah for you (DannDubblewe comes to mind) and it wouldn't cost too much, assuming you have one you want rehoused on hand.

7. chris merrill

chris merrill Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
    Picking up this old thread to see if anyone has any more insight. I'm looking for a narrow bandpass sound, like a "tiny telephone" sound. Tried the empress and WMD EQ's, which came close, but not quite the sound I had in my head

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  8. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    The crossover function on the Bass Big Muff deluxe nails this sort of sound.

9. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    EHX Cock Fight (or something like that) may do the trick.

10. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    MXR (Dunlop) makes a "cocked wah" pedal too.

11. chris merrill

chris merrill Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
    The HPF On the muff dlx effects the distortion sound only. Is it possible to get a clean sound out of the distortion side of the pedal?

12. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Good question. I've never tried, as that defeats the whole purpose of the Muff circuit, lol!

chris merrill likes this.