Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fixed up my Kingston!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brendan, May 26, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I got a black pickgaurd yesterday at Bass Central, by luck. Not a lot of those things out there, and slapped it onto my bass today, to inf one of the holes was misdrilled...so, a little 90 second epoxy and some stove black, you can't tell there was a hole there unless you're looking for it, and then re-drilled a new hole, countersunk it, and now it looks really agressive. A real hard looker!

And, then a while back, a guy at a show jacked me while I was playing, and the pickup kinda lowered itself on it own, and wouldn't come up, so the output suffered...so, I unscrewed the pickup, shimmed it with some popsickle sticks, and set it back in, and the output is MUCH better.

I'm in love with my Kingston 5 all over again!

2. Good for you! Poor playing and looking instruments don't usually happen overnight. We'll bang on 'em and put nicks in 'em and put off the little things until one day we just aren't as happy with the instrument. Sometimes, we don't even know why. Then, we'll spruce it up with some new knick-knack or setup and it's love all over again like you said.

It oughta be a law that before we sell any instrument, we should be made to put it in top playing condition. I bet that would stem the old story - "Man, I wish I hadn't sold that".

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn cookie!

Actually, I was in a little bit of system shock, having spend the day at Bass Central, and the ol' Kingston was feeling it. Fortunately, a quick tune up, and I was happy with it again.