Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fixin Up My Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oxblood, May 3, 2005.

1. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey everyone, i was just wondering would it be possible to do this to my crappy Fender P Bass; Put on a BadAss ll Bridge (All my poor ass can afford) and putting in Barolini P/J Style Pickups. I was also thinking about defretting it too, i dunno im just gettin bored with it. Is this is a good idea or not?

2. The Badass II bridge is going to involve a lot of cutting into the instrument for installation and its irreversible so if you don't like it you can't convert back.

I can't say much for the pick ups since I am a lacker when it comes to those but I would say a defretting job would be cool as long as its done right.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Installing a BAII involves cutting the bass? I think the BAII is a direct replacement for fender bridges ie: No cutting involved, you just need to file the slots (or have a professional do it)

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Exactly what I thought.

5. It was a direct replacement on my bass, very easy to install. Also, how are you going to install P/J pickups on a P-bass? Just to let you know, if you want to install the J pickup, you may want to take it to a luthier, because dropping in a J pup where there is none is going to take quite a bit of work.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    What series of P bass do you have? Anyhow it doesn't really matter. A badass bridge ( which basically fits where the stock bridge was without any mods) and a couple of used SD bassline pickups would spice that baby up considerably for cheap :eyebrow: