1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fixin Up My Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oxblood, May 3, 2005.

1. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey everyone, i was just wondering would it be possible to do this to my crappy Fender P Bass; Put on a BadAss ll Bridge (All my poor ass can afford) and putting in Barolini P/J Style Pickups. I was also thinking about defretting it too, i dunno im just gettin bored with it. Is this is a good idea or not?

2. The Badass II bridge is going to involve a lot of cutting into the instrument for installation and its irreversible so if you don't like it you can't convert back.

I can't say much for the pick ups since I am a lacker when it comes to those but I would say a defretting job would be cool as long as its done right.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Installing a BAII involves cutting the bass? I think the BAII is a direct replacement for fender bridges ie: No cutting involved, you just need to file the slots (or have a professional do it)

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Exactly what I thought.

5. It was a direct replacement on my bass, very easy to install. Also, how are you going to install P/J pickups on a P-bass? Just to let you know, if you want to install the J pickup, you may want to take it to a luthier, because dropping in a J pup where there is none is going to take quite a bit of work.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    What series of P bass do you have? Anyhow it doesn't really matter. A badass bridge ( which basically fits where the stock bridge was without any mods) and a couple of used SD bassline pickups would spice that baby up considerably for cheap :eyebrow: