1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing a '54 Goldtop Les Paul

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Jul 31, 2007.

1. This is was my grandfather's pride and joy that he bought new in 1954. Its a beautiful Les Paul Goldtop guitar. There is minor ware on the fron and back, mostly due to age (the finish cracking, slight nicks and dings). I'm not concerned about fixing these for many reasons - I like the way it looks, I think it looks good the way it does, I dont want to lose the original finish, ect.

However, the four control knobs do not work very well (volume, bass mid and treble) they only work in certain positions or not at all. It's a wonderful guitar that I wont ever sell and I love to pick it up and play some blues on it occasionally. So I'd like to get the wiring redone inside the control cavity.

What is the best way to go about fixing this? Take it to a gibson dealer? I'm wary of letting it go for to long or shipping it anywhere.

I'll post pics later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks alot - Dan

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was under the impression that they were vol/vol/tone/tone - though I am often wrong. If I'm wrong, I had no idea that Les Pauls were set up that way.

3. I'm pretty sure mine is volume with a 3band eq, but I'll double check when I bring it out tonight to take some pictures.

4. I would also have thought that it was vol/vol/tone/tone. Please double-check! Unless it's a later modification, I was under the impression that active guitars weren't made in the 50s, much less a Les Paul. It's possible that the pots/wiring are worn out, giving you that impression, or that your grandfather modded the guitar sometime in the 70s-80s.

My suggestion would be to go to a REPUTABLE luthier and have him diagnose your guitar's problems. Ideally, I'd either fix the existing circuitry or, if that's impossible, have it rebuilt with genuine replacements, fully passive, and using original parts already in your guitar wherever possible. I wouldn't go cheap or go for less than the best on a guitar of that monetary and sentimental value. Good luck!