1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing a broken pedal? Thanks USPS!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by autodidact, Jun 11, 2012.

1. First off, I'd like the thank the postal service for treating packages badly, not caring about others belongings and overall not giving a **** while still taking home that government money.

Anl nyway long story short, I shipped a pedal to a fellow TBr, it left in perfect condition and arrived with two knobs snapped off at the shaft of the pot. The pedal was uninsured (silly me for having confidence in USPS right?) so I doubt they'll do anything to rectify the situation even though the buyer is trying to get ahold of them.

I offered to repair the pedal if possible as a sign of good will and because I legitimately feel bad for the guy. Assuming the PCB itself is fine, if the two pots are snapped it should be as easy as just replacing the two pots are re-soldering the connections right? Also does anyone have any ideas where to get pots small enough for pedals? I'm new to the repair game.

Here's the before and after damage shots:

Attached Files:

2. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    The postal service doesn't have bad customer service, it has no customer service. Even if the pedal was insured, it would take months to get reimbursed. The good news is that pots are cheap. There are a bunch here: http://www.mammothelectronics.com/category-s/46.htm

3. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Tell me what the numbers on the front of the pots say and I'll tell you where to get them. Super easy to fix.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Double boxing seems like a waste until something like this happens.

5. I'm not even sure that would have helped. It was wrapped SEVERAL times in bubble wrap then packed with news paper to the point where it had 0 wiggle room, securely taped up and sent off. The buyer sent me a pic of the box apon arrival and the thing was crushed in. Looked like someone backed over it with the mail truck

6. And thanks guiys, I'm waiting on a message back from the buyer to tell me what he wants to be done. Its nice to know I can get help this quick from y'all

7. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    My personal rant....TOTALLY....why the **** should I have to pay extra monrey for insurance and delivery confirmation? How in the **** is that not included? That would be like McDonald's charging extra for buns. "Here's your patty, sir". "Where the **** is my buns, *******?" "Buns are extra" FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

But anyways, I'm in the same boat.....I had a bit of a mixup with USPS. Figured the pedal I shipped was lost since it was three weeks in and the pedal hadn't shown up to TBer 1, yet. So I bought a second one for a decent price from TGP had it shipped to him....and...of course, both pedals show up to TBer 1's house on the same day. But he was cool enough to let me sell it and ship it out for me. The pedal, a line 6 M5 shows up to TBer 2's house not working. TBer 2 said the M5 was sliding around in the package and he thinks that's what happened to it. So now I have a broken M5 heading back to me that I'm hoping I can fix and flip without losing too much money.....but I may have just eaten all of it.

8. Rawrrbass

Rawrrbass

Mar 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    How about lost/stolen packages? I live in a condo community and we have the cluster mail boxes. When I get a pedal in the mail, they'll put the package in the over sized mailbox and leave the key to it in my mailbox. I go to open the oversize mailbox only to find NOTHING !!!! ***? The first time this happened, I just happened to check the unlocked overized mailbox next to it and find my box waiting for me, not even locked up. This has happened two or three times now and I'm kinda surprised I haven't lost anything.

To further rub in how lazy my mail man is, when something comes insured and requires a signature, instead of actually trying to deliver the package like hes suppose to, his lazy *** leaves one a notes that says he tried to deliver it but I wasn't there so I'll have to go to the PO tmr to pick it up .

9. Angry rants make me wanna start a punk band.

10. As a side note... I dont believe the usps is actually government funded....

11. taken from the Wikipedia site:

"The USPS has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s with the minor exception of subsidies for costs associated with the disabled and overseas voters. However, it does receive tens to hundreds of millions per year in "implicit subsidies", such as breaks on property tax, vehicle registration, and sales tax, in addition to subsidized government loans.[6] Since the 2006 all-time peak mail volume [7], after which Congress passed the "Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act"[8], revenue dropped sharply due to recession-influenced [9] declining mail volume,[10], prompting the postal service to look to other sources of revenue while cutting costs to reduce its budget deficit.[11]"

It seems they receive just as much money from the gov like other independent government organizations (NASA).

I prefer USPS over the lame FedEx any day!

12. Damn you! Haha