1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing a buzz at the 12 fret on a '75 Precision

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by burpgun, Mar 28, 2018.

1. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    Hi there. I've got a '75 Precision Bass that's got a persistent buzzing at the 12 fret for the A and E strings. I like my action low. I can eliminate the buzz by raising those two strings, but then I have issues with the playability. The action doesn't have to get deadly high, but I'd just like it lower.

This bass has a maple neck and its original frets. Any ideas what I can do here to eliminate the buzzing and get the action nice and low? Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Get your frets leveled?

lz4005 likes this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Insufficient information to provide a diagnosis. What is the current relief? What is the current string height? Have you checked for a high fret?

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Definitely sounds like a fret issue to me. I say that because it's only an issue on 2 strings. Your 13th fret (or higher) is probably too high.

5. Only at the 12? Or 12 and above. Could be it needs fret work or the dreaded ski ramp. I had a '75 P that had the ski ramp and I couldn't get buzz-less playing above 12 or 13. I couldn't cope with that so it had to go unfortunately. Hopefully it's something as simple as a raised fret. All that would require is tamping it down. Or just needing a fret leveling, more spendy, but not as permanent as fixing ramping.

6. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    Hey there. It's just at the 12th fret, so hopefully that means no ski ramp? Any thoughts if there could be a twist in the neck, and if yes, would it be better to have some fret work done to compensate or have the neck heated and moved back into position? I had a super f'ed up Ovation Magnum neck back in the day that got the heat treatment and it came out perfect.