Fixing a dead firebass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gord, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hey guys,
    I was rocking with the peavey firebass the other day, and the guitarists decided that there was no reason to play at a level that would allow us to hear the music, and instead opted for the "see if we can dismantle the foundation of this house with nothing more than volume" approach.

Anyways, the firebass was seeing an 8ohm load, and, putting out about 245 watts (I think, maybe 275) didn't seem to be enough. Odd, because it never has had a problem with this before. The speaker protection light was flickering and the amp itself was cutting out. A few loud burps later and the amp just shut off completally. I turned it back on, heard a loud buzzing, and it turned off again. I hit the reset button the back, turned it back on - poopPPP, off again.

Has anyone EVER broken a firebass before? I don't think it's possible and I certainly don't want to be the first. I looked around for a fuse but couldn't find it. ANyone have any ways to repair a sick peavey firebass?
  2. I've had a firebass for a while now, I've never gotten it down to 2OHms, but I've pushed it quite hard at 4. HOW ON EARHT DID YOU BREAK A FIREBASS??? Its a tank! lol! Well, keep us posted.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

Hmmm..lets see. You intentionally abuse an amp. The protection warning lights are going off. You continue. Then you are surprised when it goes belly up?
  4. KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    You killed a Peavey??!!! Has Hell frozen over?
  5. Did you check to see if the speaker cable was shorted? Or plugged in all the way?

Should've stopped and checked everything the moment the "protection" light started flashing....kinda like the "low oil pressure" light in the car....
  6. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Never in my wildest dreams....
    You killed a Firebass?

7. You killed a firebass?

Your taking the mick, it isnt april 1st !

Ive driven mine pretty hard at 2 Ohms, no bother, so, i, you killed a firebass you say?
  8. obviously there's more to this story.....

(shakes head, rubs eyes, convinces oneself that one is not waking up out of a dream)...

How do you kill a Peavey again?
  9. i think, he broke the speaker cab, then took apart the firebass, repeatedly hit it with a sledge hammer and set fire to it, then ran it over

still, when doing that, theres only a 5% (if that) of them being killed
  10. All jokes aside, there's several possibilities:

1) You said you were cranking everything...driving it far into clipping, perhaps. At that point the protection circuitry *may* have kicked in and shut you down, perhaps after the amp cooled off it'll be fine.

2) Perhaps the speaker fried, burning the voice coil, and kicking the amp's protection circuit in. Try the speaker with a different head, see if it works. If the speaker works fine, scratch this possibility.

3) Perhaps the speaker cable or speaker jack shorted out, causing the amp's protection to kick in. Check the cable and speaker with an ohmeter, if you get 0 ohms, you've got a dead short. I have seen shorted speaker cables several times, where they get bent going into the plug, or inside the plug itself.

4) Perhaps you drove the amp too far into clipping too long and actually did fry it. The protection circuit is intended to prevent this but nothing's perfect.

Try the head into a cabinet that you know is good, with a speaker cable that you know is good. Hopefully the amp will play fine after it cools off. Absolutely, positively, check the speaker cable and speaker jacks to make sure there's no shorts.
  11. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    thanks for all the replies, alot were what I expected (you killed a peavey!?) haha. Don't get me wrong, I didn't notice I was driving it too hard, my firebass has never given me trouble. I look over and I just see that little light blinking red and going out, so I immediatly turned down and asked the guys to do the same. Playing at a level that the firebass does with ease, and the same problems. Anyways, at that house is a yorkville 400 head, so I threw it right into the mix. Same speaker connectors, same cabinet, everything. It played perfectally. I just don't get it! I'll bring it to the shop in the next few days, but from the sounds of it, they've never had a peavey in for repairs. Does the firebass have a fuse or anything anywhere?
  12. I'm sure there's a fuse, but if the protection light was on, that meant you had power, so the fuse most likely is not an issue.

Check the cooling fan (I think the firebass has one), perhaps the fan went out or got blocked making the amp overheat.

I'd still double-check that speaker cable, if it has a removable metal shell, unscrew it and look to see if one wire might've shorted to the other a little.

Have you plugged it back in and tried it again, now that it's cooled off?
  13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Peavey amps break plenty, regardless of what you may think. Especially when they're pushed beyond their design limits. I used to do warranty repair in a couple of different Peavey dealers' shops, and that kept me quite busy, actually. The vast majority of the stuff stayed fixed for a very long time once repaired though, and the company was great to deal with. But bombproof? Nope. ;)

I don't have any experience with the Firebass though, never even seen one. Good luck, sounds like a trip to the amp doctor may be in order.
  14. They have an inbuilt circuit breaker, its possible you triggered this, its a small circular rod like button the back, try pushing it if you arent powering up at all
  15. Hehe I pushed my Firebass at 12oclock gain and 12oclock master at 2ohms last week for like 3 hours without one problem. Turn the amp on and listen for the fan to come on, I'd bet it got blocked or stopped working, as someone already mentioned. The DDT light flashes often when I play with one 4ohm cab, but it never heats up or shuts down, and its an older white faced one.
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What guage speaker cable are you using? If its thin, it might be causing the amp a bit more stress when pushed hard. Just another thought . . .

When I was a teen, I had a Peavey 15" combo that shut down on me twice. First time was thermal shutdown when playing loud outside on a hot day in direct sunlight. It worked fine an hour later when it was all cooled down (no fan, just a heatsink).

The other was when it jsut gave me a loud buzz, and when serviced they found the round tip of a 1/4" jack that apparently broke off a cord and lodged itself between the jack connections.