1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing a door

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, May 18, 2011.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So I've got a hollow core door in the place that I'm renting. Some drunk girl barged through it, fell, and ripped the door off its top hinge. The screws got pulled out of the door and now the holes are stripped out.

How do you fix this kinda thing?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Fill the holes with dowels and glue them in, drill pilot holes, then mount the hinge. There are better ways, but that should suffice for a rental.

-Mike

3. it depends on the damage done to the door. if it is just stripped holes that used to contain a wood screw go to the local craft store and pick some dowel pins. coat in glue and plug them into the holes, saw or sand flat to the door and screw the hinge back into the dowels. this could also be done with wood filler putty. you may or may not want to stain to match color.

if the screws ripped larger holes into the door you may just want to tell the apartment and pay for a door.

4. Let her worry about fixing it.

5. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    Chances are, with that sort of behavior, she's the kind of person you'd want just paying for a fix rather than dealing with fixing it.

6. That goes without saying.:hyper:

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quickest way right there. Was the rest of the door undamaged? Another quick and cheesy sure-fire fix is the same way you can quick-fix stripped out bass strap pin buttons:

Grab some wood glue and toothpicks. snap toothpicks in half, squirt glue on toothpicks, shove toothpicks in holes of door to fill up the stripped space, and then install screws and make sure the screws bite into and threads against the toothpicks. Do this with the hinges on door, let dry, and then re-hang door.

8. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    In a pinch, if you can't get your hands on a dowel and you don't want to use toothpicks, a golf tee works fairly well.

9. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Or just get a longer screw.

10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    what in the world possessed you to put up a thread like this? I just can't believe it, that you thought this a proper subject to bring up here on TB! Grrr. This is a real horror story and has no place in TB anals...er...I mean TB annals.

:p

11. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    A hollow core door costs about $30 or less at Home Despot. Buy a new one. Now go post this at DIY.com

12. I'd have figured you'd have thought of the dowel/toothpick thing right away, being a bassist and all. We've all had stripped strap buttons and/or neck screws...

13. Replace it with a steel-reinforced door, or better yet, one made from balsa! That'll learn her!!!

14. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Now THAT'S funny!

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I was thinking about the toothpick method but they'd fall through. Dowels, unfortunately, seem like a lot of work.

Guess whose making a trip to the hardware store tomorrow?
    :atoz:

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'll be there too. I need to pick up some blades for my jigsaw.

-Mike

17. Duct tape.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I think the question on everyone's mind is: Was the door the only thing that wound up getting barged into that night??

19. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    For the door frame side use toothpicks and wood glue since the frame is solid wood. Screws should catch without issue and once it dries will be a good fix without any issues.

Since the door is hollow treat it like drywall and use small versions of toggle bolts. You MAY have to widen the hole in the door but once in they expand and once screwed down lock into place. You will probably have to find the smallest they make and take a file to the head of the screw once tightened if the door doesn't shut properly. I am not sure if they make a flat screw toggle bolt but that would be perfect if they did. You CAN overtighten a toggle and it could crush the wood in the door. Do not over tighten.

Here is a toggle bolt

[​IMG]

The other option is hollow wall style anchors they make for ceilings and such that are metal and have metal hooks they expand outwards when tightened. That would hold ok too but you would need shorter screws for the door side once the anchors are in. Best practice would be to use some sort of gorilla glue on the threads before you put those in just to make sure they stay secure. Wood glue might hold but since it's metal I wouldn't trust it too much.

20. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    If you want Mike, I think I might have a whole bunch of them. I'll mail them out. A friend's father died a few months ago and I got a gazillion tools. They were just gonna throw them out:spit: so now I've got a band, radial, and table saws plus weird tools I don't even know the names of.