1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing a neck twist

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dgunns, Mar 28, 2015.

1. dgunns

dgunns

Oct 11, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Hey guys just wondering if there is any chance of fixing a twisted neck. Found a pretty good deal locally on a 78 P Bass but the neck has a twist in it. Here's some pics. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Will the neck set up, intonate and stay stable as it is? If so, the warp is in the direction that will actually take stress off the wrist. If there are other issues like too much relief, or not straight otherwise (it is hard to tell from the small pictures that only show the end) then yes, it has to be straightened.

What do I mean taking stress off the wrist? I mean purposefully making the neck into a helix, like this:
    Little Guitar Works | Handcrafted Ergonomic Basses and Guitars

3. dgunns

dgunns

Oct 11, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I don't know if it sets up. The guy has had the neck off the bass for a few years. I can ask. He did just tell me he has had pros look at it and say it cant be fixed....

4. I came across this place when needing a neck repair once... never used them but you might try popping them an email and see what they say FIX AN INSTRUMENT'S WARPED NECK

5. Worst case? You bolt on a new neck and go on with life.

Best case? Search TB for threads on correcting this problem.

6. dgunns

dgunns

Oct 11, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Just emailed them but it got bounced back saying it's not a good email.....

7. Sorry...

there is a phone # too. Good luck

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD