1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing a plywood body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WRXbase, Mar 19, 2009.

1. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I have a bass that's only good enough to bludgeon people with, but I'm in process of making it playable. Which leads me to problem 1: there was a horizontal crack, along the "grain" of the body. I tried to break off the piece to glue it back on, but the finish pulled up a big nasty chunk.

It's about 2" x 3" and over 3/16" deep. the worst part is that some of the surface layer that the bridge would mount to also got pulled up, but that's not very deep at all.

Is there anyway to repair it? I already tried glueing the chip back on, but when it came off, it curled and I couldn't get it back in.

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    use a water thin consistency superglue within the remaining crack and some clamps to (via capillary action...the glue will whick into the wood) stabilize the crack. Then take the piece that came off, and wet it a tad, and then place it on a flat surface, with a flat block atop it, and clamp it until it flattens, and let dry still in the clamp. Then, remove and glue in place as best you can, sand the level flat with the surrounding wood, and use some autobody (2 part bondo) or wood filler to fill in any voids...then sand back to flush and refinish the area. If the chip isn't big enough, just level the area with bondo and sand back to profile....bondo being harder and more durable than wood fill.

May not be the best way, but that is how I'd do it...