1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing a 'pop' with the mid push/pull on my OBP-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Justyn, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Howdy gang,

I get a loud popping sound when I pull out the push/pull mid control on my Aggie OBP-3. After the initial pop I can click the pot up and down without issue, but then if I leave it alone for a while and then go to switch it again...pop! It's like a static charge is building up.

Naturally I attribute this to incompetent wiring on my part and my first thought is that it's somehow a grounding issue, which is usually where I make mistakes.

Can anyone suggest a fix or let me know if I'm on the right track re: grounding issue?

Thanks!

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Double check your wiring. Look for cold solder joints.

What kind of bass are we dealing with? does it have a control plate? Is the pot grounded to anything?

3. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    The bass is a Warwick Streamer LX5. I recently installed a set of Bartolinis (59CBJD L1/LN1) and the OBP-3. Both were bought from BestBassGear and I had the preamp prewired.

The cavity is shielded with paint. There's a ground wire running from the bridge to a screw in the cavity and two more wires that run from that to the pickup grounds. I took a wire from all that and soldered it to the back of the volume pot. Haven't touched any of the other pots save soldering the hot leads from the pickups.

I'll look for cold joints. I'm also getting some static when I touch the stacked treble/bass knob...more grounding issues perhaps?

Here's a picture I took for reference. The red circle is the mid pot, the green box is around the ground wires and the teal circle is around the treble/bass stack.

Thanks.
    J.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    FWIW, I get no pops/noise from the Aggie OBP-3 push/pulls in my Valenti with fatstacks. I bet Nino knows all. :p

5. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    As far as I can tell there are no cold solder joints. I did find something potentially helpful in the wiring diagram from Aguilar, which only shows a mid pot and a DPDT switch as opposed to a push-pull pot performing the function of both. Below the switch in the diagram is a note that use of '1Meg resistors is optional, they reduce switch click.' So that might be it. Have to find some 1Meg resistors I suppose and wire them in.

But first, I gig!

J.

6. churchpark

churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    I have the same problem in my MTD Kingston 5. Any more feed on this issue?