fixing a twist.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, Jun 10, 2003.

1. i am about to finsh making my frist bass. and i have been reading alot on fixing neck problems. only thing i cant figure out is how to fix a neck that has a slight twist. thanks for the help, and pic's of my all purple heart fretless 4 string bass will posted soon.
  2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    The only real way to fix a twisted or "snaked" neck is to pull the fingerboard off, plane the neck down, and glue the fingerboard back on. If it is a fretted neck this operation will probably resulting in having to do a re-fret as well.

You do have to be careful with this operation, in that you can only plane the neck down so far without making it too thin, so you can only fix so much of a twist.

If it is a very slight twist, you could either ignore it or just plane down the fingerboard and refret from there.

Also, there is no guarantee that the wood has not finished "working" or settling, especially if you've just started building up a new bass, and could continue to twist more after the above process is completed.

3. i have let the bass sit for a few day sinc ei finshed making it. i havnt put strings on it. it is really only a slight stwist. how would i go about planeing the fingerboard.
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If the twist is slight, you could probably compensate with fret leveling and setup. You'll only have a problem if the twist prevents you from getting the geometry of the strings over the frets right.

Sometimes a twist can be taken out in a heat press. You basically heat up the neck and clamp it in place so the whole thing loosens up and then cools off flat and straight.
  5. one this is a fretless basses. i think i forgot to say that, and two i was going to try the heat press idea. in my book it tells u how to fit a necked that is bowed ethier way. but nothing about the twist i figure u would just clamp it to soem thing flat and heat it up i go to a tech high school and iam in metal fab. i all ready got a 1/4 plate with a peacie of angle iron weld on one side so it wount bend.