1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing a U-Kala spruce top?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 2high2decide, May 6, 2015.

1. 2high2decide

2high2decide

May 5, 2015
    I managed to break the top of my u-kala, it has a big crack/opening on one side and a smaller on the other. A local luthier said it'd be 300$+ to fix it and its only around 350 new so its not worth it. I'm looking to fix it myself the best I can. I'm just looking for ideas, whether putting a slim piece of wood under and screwing it on to mend the cracks or whatever just so long as I can still play it without it damaging more. Surprisingly it still sounds pretty good I just feel the tension from the strings will soon do more damage. Open to all suggestions! I dont expect it to look/play perfect, just something to still mess around on.
    wsVaTxL.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The technical term for that instrument is "completely F'd".

3. 2high2decide

2high2decide

May 5, 2015
    Agreed, but I dont just want to trash it, It still plays decent and will still be fun to mess around on and take in the car ect.. should I just leave it how it is?

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's repairable, but not an easy DIY job. I would start by making a caul from half-inch ply or MDF and another from Plexiglas, about 2 inches wide. You want to use plexiglass so you can see the results of the clamping. The length will be limited by what you can feed through the sound hole.

The wood caul goes inside and the plastic on the top. Clamp the two together with C-clamps through the sound hole, and see if you can flatten the splits. If there are no significant gaps, then cut a thin bit of spruce that runs the length of the crack, about 3/4 inch wide and glue it on the underside of the top bridging the split, using the cauls and clamps. After it dries you may want to deal with any cosmetic issues - or not.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    What is the condition of the top bracing?