Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fixing buzz and action on custom made fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by slapNnap420, Sep 23, 2004.

1. slapNnap420

slapNnap420

Aug 23, 2004
    Indiana
    Okay, here's my problem. When i was 16 or so (i'm 19 now) i bought a rickenbacker copy bass from a pawn shop for about 130 bucks. It worked okay but the P/Us were crap, but did come with a leo quan bass ass II bridge which was nice. Anyhow, i really wanted a fretless rick cause i thought it'd be cool, so i ripped out all the frets, filled them in and epoxied the fretboard (just like Jaco) but now it seems like the neck always warps or the bridge is screwed up, it basically just has a really bad buzz, which i don't get. My question is should i buy a rickenbacker style bride, fix the trussrod in, or what?

P.S. i only put about 3 coats of epoxy on, and that was a year ago, should i put more on and sand it and repeat or should it be fine? Sorry about all the questions, i just really want to finish this bass. :hyper:

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Epoxy isn't permanent, it's a continual WIP. Every few years it might need a new layer or two. Or not... You might tweak the rod a little. Plus, raise the action at the bridge of any offending strings. I'd say tweak everything before you dump more money into it. Unless of course you're trying to get your fakenbacker to look more authentic :D.

But the truss rod definately needs a tweak after a major operation like that. Good find BTW.

3. slapNnap420

slapNnap420

Aug 23, 2004
    Indiana
    Thanks a lot for the advice, I do kinda want it to look more original, so i think i'm gonna get a rick. bridge. But thanks again, hopefully this thing will be up and runnin soon :hyper: