Fixing dings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Aug 1, 2001.

1. I've got a black Dean Edge Custom 5 with a visible ding by the output jack. I'd like to fix it, just for aesthetic value; does anyone know of any means by which I could fill it, or at least make it unnoticeable?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Get a black sharpie.
  3. I would at least take it to a furniture repair shop and ask what they can do, since alot of stuff is black laquer thay most likely will have something to do the job.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a Musicman Sterling that I took a chunk out of 2 weeks after I bought it. The only way to properly fix it would have been to get the whole thing repainted - I understand thats the story with most dings and things. Anyhow, nailpolish was recommended, and as coincidence would have it - my girlfriend had some blue sparkle nailpolish that was as close as I was gonna get to a match. I did it, and you can't tell (from audience to stage) that there was ever a scratch on it.

The flip side - I regret doing it big time. You can totally tell up close that I tried to touch it up, and I think it looks kind of lame. I'd have been prouder of the bare wood showing - like a battle scar. I really think those things add character now.

Any fixing you do to the finish, lest repainting it is going to show that you tried to fix it. You may want to think about it a little before you do anything.

That's my 2 cents.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If the ding/dent is obviously into the wood, here's what antique lovers and some guitar repair people do for deep ones;

- Place a wet clean cloth over the dented area.
    - Place a soldering iron/gun on the cloth over the area. The steam this creates will raise the dent by causing the wood fibers to expand. Sometimes it takes several tries to get the dent raised. Sometimes it can even cause the wood to expand/bulge beyond the instrument's surface. In that case, you have to use fine sandpaper or just leave it alone.

Depending on your finish, leaving the iron/gun on the rag too long will melt the finish/paint. So, several short tries are better. Otherwise you're shopping for nail polish or auto touch up paint.
  6. Thanks for the suggestions--the ding isn't all that deep, and it looks cool enough that I might want to just leave it there. If I do anything to it, it'll be black Sharpie.