Fixing frets....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mikarre, Feb 19, 2005.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

The frets on my bass are fine where the strings touch them, but they do hang over the ends of the fretboard a bit too much for my liking. I just want to use something to smooth them out a little so they aren't so pointy. I thought of everything from a metal file to steel wool to a fingernail file. What is the cheapest and easiest way to smooth out these rough edges?
  2. I'd have to see how much overhang you're talking about to be sure, but if I were going to do this, I'd start off with a small, flat, fine needle file and carefully file the sharp edge off. Then I would use some fine sandpaper to polish the file grooves out.
    If you're just trying to smooth out some sharp edges, I'd use some sandpaper glued to a small flat stick or something like that. Then you could just polish off the sharp edges.
    Whatever you decide, just relax and take your time. One slip of the file and you'll hate yourself for that scratch on your neck or fretboard.

Good luck...
  3. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Honestly, the actual overhang of the frets isn't bad at all. It just seems like when the fretboard was finished enough attention wasn't given to smoothing out the edges. So it's a bit sharp when I run my hand along the neck, but not so much that you'd actually be cut or anything. I like the idea of the sandpaper on a stick. Should I use sandpaper for metal or the regular wood kind, or doesn't it matter?
  4. How fine the grit is matters most, and most wood sandpapers don't go as fine. Since you won't need to remove much material from the frets, I'd start out with about 220 grit. Find you a small, straight and flat stick and glue a strip of paper to it. You might actually be able to find some emery boards (for fingernails?) that would work for the first part, but make sure it's fine and not coarse. Sand the sharp edge off, then go with at least a 400-800 grit for final smoothing. I think that should work. Just go easy and get them all the same.

5. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Thanks man. I snagged some paper today and I'll get on it tomorrow or the next day. Thanks for the advice.
  6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I was told to use a chain saw file. Very cheap and small so its easy to work with! just be carefull not to scratch youre neck!