1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing glue gap in body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wasted4440, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Wasted4440

Wasted4440

Feb 3, 2015
    Hi everyone,
    While carving away my belly and arm cutaways, I noticed that in both areas there is a seam of pesky glue that is visually unpleasant. I glued my original blank up by placing two sets of pau ferro and maple together, gluing them both in a vacuum bag, and then attaching them to a mahogany core. All this was done with Titebond Original.
    The bottom of the left picture shows the result I'd normally expect, but it almost looks like there was a very thin pocket full of glue that formed between the pau ferro and maple. Does anyone have any suggestions on removing it? Might there be a way to dissolve it with something or heat it, and if so would there be a good way to fill in the resulting gap that would take finish well? Thank you very much!
    10583821_10153030013543241_2041230293786850927_n.

2. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    I could be looking at it wrong, but to me that doesn't look like a gap, it just looks like the pau ferro might be sitting up a little higher than the maple and the glue squeeze-out is just not smoothed out yet.

michaelwayneharwood likes this.
  3. Wasted4440

Wasted4440

Feb 3, 2015
    Hmmm, that could be, it's just a bit disconcerting that appeared right when I got to that layer with an angle grinder, and hasn't disappeared since I've been scraping the cutaway smooth.

4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Is it flush with the surface, or raised at all? Is the pau ferro/maple joint in the picture perfectly flat? Just trying to get a sense of what exactly we're looking at.

One thing you might be able to do is apply a few coats of dewaxed spray shellac under the finish, could help with adhesion.

Lonnybass

5. Wasted4440

Wasted4440

Feb 3, 2015
    The glue is flush to the plane of the cutaway. The face-to-face joint of the pau ferro to maple is flat, so is the plane of the cutaway (maybe a hundredth higher at each end, which will get scraped out) and it would surprise me quite a lot if there was a pocket that formed where glue could pool when I glued them together. However, by the width of this glue line, that's almost what it looks like happened.

I actually just received my order of platina dewaxed shellac and pumice which I plan on using to seal the wood, then apply a Tru-Oil over it. My issue with this glue is just that it seems rather unsightly to my eyes. I might just be to much of a perfectionist haha