Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fixing low nut slots

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CJY, Jul 23, 2001.

1. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I got a tecnical question here.I bought a Carvin B5 from a store a few weeks back and I discovered that my open D buzzed very badly and my open G has a slight buzz.The fretted notes were okay,so I figure that the D and G string slots were too low.Is there a way to fix the problem without changing the nut?I like the nut and don't want to change it.
    Can I just add a layer of lacquer or something to increase the height?Your input will be greatly appreciated.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    use superglue to fill it up

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

JMX is dead on, unless you want to paying the shipping charges involved with shipping it back to Carvin.

I had the same thing develop with my Carvin LB75 after a few months on the G string. A tech told me to put some super glue in the slot. For about 4 days, I put on a layer of super glue each day, let it drybefore putting on another layer the next day, and the raspiness went away.

Evidently, it's true - your strings should only set about halfway into the nut because that's where the G string is now.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Shouldn't this be in Hambone's forum??

Chris A.:rolleyes:

5. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Thanks for the tip guys.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Roll up a piece of paper, prefereably from a sugar packet, and wedge it in.

(Hmmm???)

Kidding...I'd decide it's time to get the whole nut replaced.

7. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    It looks like I am headed in the direction of using either a paper/superglue mixture (paper from string packets is supposed to be about perfect) or grinding up some nut/bone material mixed with the superglue to fill very, very deep nut slots.

I bought a new ('99) strings-through-body p-bass for a steal through a guitar shop online and figure someone tried heavy guage strings and wrecked the nut.

anyone with any experience with something like this ? any suggestions will be appreciated.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm sure that there are some kind folks in Setup that can help you out. I'll help out by moving this thread over there. Thanks for using the Search feature!:cool:

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had this problem when I changed to lighter gauge strings and I took my bass into the tech at the Bass Centre in London. He had ground-up nut dust ready for just this thing and mixed it with a quick setting glue and the problems was solved in about 20 minutes - just time to play a new bass!! ;) - much quicker than changing the whole nut and this was over a year ago and I haven't had any problems since.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A drop of thick gel superglue in the nut will usually build it up as much as you would need. If not let it dry and apply another. I wouldn't use paper.

Chas