1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fixing maple StingRay neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sabu, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Hi all

I have a late '81/early '82 pre-Ernie Ball StingRay. The neck is maple and unfortunately the finish is started to chip/flake at the edges of a few frets on the side of the neck. I assume this is from the slight expansion/contraction of the wooden neck over the years. I am wondering if there's a process by which I can touch up these edges so that the maple remains protected and the chipping/flaking doesn't worsen. I would like to avoid going to a luthier for the simple fact that I can't afford one due to the need to save for college tuition. It doesn't bother me if the new finish doesn't match the "aged" one. Any help is appreciated!

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    The technique for this kind of repair is called drop filling. It consists of filling up the chipped area with drops of lacquer, and after they are cured levelling them and blending them into the surrounding finish.

I know of a number of people that have tried this technique and not one has ended up with a satisfactory result. Some just created a nasty mess. But someone that is experienced in finish restoration can do it. If you don't have that kind of experience, I can only recommend that you don't attempt the repair. I recommend that when you can afford to have it done, take it to a good tech.

3. bassic_element

bassic_element

Sep 20, 2006
    Sand it all off and refinish it!

4. Yikes! Is there really no other way? I guess I shouldn't mess with a vintage instrument anyway ;)

But I can't afford it right now, so it'll have to wait. Thanks for the responses!

5. Tim Gray

Tim Gray

Dec 30, 2007
    I wouldn't really worry about it if I were you. It's part of an instrument getting wear - it's got to start somewhere. I'd just let it go...

Maybe when it's time to refret, you can address it then.

6. Tim you don't know how happy this makes me to read. Especially the cheapskate part of me :D Thank you for pointing it out! The wear and tear isn't in any playing surface so it's not like it's getting in the way. But I am a little concerned about the exposed maple...is that a problem?

7. this is my first wear on my p-bass maple neck.

100-0039_IMG.jpg

i also always thinking to fixit....but, hey it's play wear. a bass is a tool with some laquer on it. just let it go. if i would fix that, after a couple of years i would get another one. it's not worth the money.

just my .02$

joe

8. Thanks again for the responses...you have put my frugal heart at ease :D I will consider the chipping/flaking for what it is...25+ years of wear and tear on a cool older instrument :bassist:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021