Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fixing my computer II: Can I get free MS-Dos?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    And can it fit on a few floppies?

I've decided, if I install a operating system like dos onto my messed up computer, I'll have CD-Rom Support which will give me access to windows.

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Welcome to 1990.
    Nice mullet buddy.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    www.bootdisk.com
    You don't need a whole DOS system, just a boot disk that will let you get to your CD ROM.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Don't be dissin' the dos.

Long story short, I've got a computer that has nothing in it. Windows won't install because it's on a CD-Rom, and I have no CD-Rom driver, so that means, no CD-Rom access.

If I can fit dos on a floppy, I install that, THEN I'll have a CD-Rom driver, whamo bamo.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That page is very jumbled, where do I find one with the CD-Rom driver on it. :help: :D

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

You can for example choose the Win98 SE bootdisk. It does what´s needed. Boots up, loads the cd-rom drivers. Has Fat32 support.

Go girl!

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I love you guys, in the most masculine way possible...

Well... maybe a little feminine.

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Sorry man. I was really quick to dis the DOS...and it was wrong.

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    BOW TO THE POWER OF DOS!!

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

MS-DOS - The most stable operating system ever invented, as long as you don't need to do more than one thing at a time, and don't need more than 640K.

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    This one is always a classic, and he really did say that.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Update: I plugged the hard drive back into the computer (I plugged it into another computer just to see what would happen) and it won't detect it. :meh: My guess, I touched/smashed/static electricitified the mother board or something to that effect. Or maybe it's just a bad chord. Regardless, I've just decided to frankenstien that computer with my girlfriend's computer which is in need of update anyway.

I already jammed the ram into her computer, next stop, the hard drive. (It's the smallest gateway I've ever seen, if it was empty, I could barely fit my head in it. :meh:

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    An 8 bit Operating System for a 4 Bit processor by a 2 bit company who can't handle 1 bit of competition.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That would be DR-DOS ;)

.... or CP/M, but not MS-DOS.

15. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003

hahahaha. I like the way you talk. yeh those worde "stable" and Microsoft don't go together.
    Does anyone know about windows longhorn, what its like, pics etc....

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah I saw some early screenshots (or maybe they were mockups) and discussion of what it would be like. It was kind of more of a 3D type windows environment. It's hard for me to put into words.

brad cook

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Google it man! Plenty of info out there :)

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not to interupt this thread :D but I didn't want to start a new thread:

I installed my old hard drive into the computer I'm currently on. But it hasn't detected it. What do I have to do once it's "plugged in"

19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, provided that you´ve connected the IDE and power cable, there are jumpers on the back of the hdd. You´ll see words such as Master, Slave, Cable Select and one more IIRC.

IDE cables have the ability to have two devices connected to them, for example, if you have two hdd´s connected to the same cable, both drives cannot be set to the same jumper position, for example, Master-Master, Slave-Slave etc.
    My experience with Cable select is that it works sometimes, and sometimes not. Check out what the other device is set to and adjust the jumper on your old drive accordingly, it should be Master-Slave.

Hope this helps.

P.s. Sometimes the BIOS is not configured to aknowledge a second hdd. If the info here above does not work, you may want to check the BIOS. BIOS configuration vary greatly between manufacturers so I cannot tell you exactly what to set it to. But if you find a bunch of stuff related to Floppy 3 1/2", cd-rom, hdd1, hdd2 etc. and some settings behind each one. Make sure that hdd2 is set to auto or something like that.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's what's strange, I can't get into the BIOS config menu. Normally you hit delete to get into it. But my g/f has the most idiotic gateway computer. It's set up to suggest once this computer gets old, buy another one, you have no choice!

BUT, all the cables are handy and labeled. I plugged the HD into the one that said slave (how nice). It's connected to the CD rom drive.