1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing polyurethane chip

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by piggywiddle, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. piggywiddle

piggywiddle Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I was adjusting the relief on my Fender 63 AVRI p-bass and the neck slid a bit and chipped a bit of the poly finish. Do you think a reputable repair shop in Toronto could fix this?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    A reputable repair shop in Toronto should be able to fix that. I know one that definitely could, but it may not be worth it. Expect to pay between $75 and $100 - it's labour intensive.

3. piggywiddle

piggywiddle Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I appreciate that. It's probably 12th fret?

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    That's not the shop I was thinking of, but I am sure they could do it. Not sure they would though.

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Look at the signature above.
    This gentleman will.

Joshua likes this.
  6. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Too much money for that little chip. If you want it to be almost unnoticed you could paint with some hobby colors. They're cheap and I'm sure you can find a close match. Daphne blue finish? I.e: Gunze has a very close color: H96 "Smoke blue"

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/color.php?cKey=210

The whole color chart:
    Mr.HOBBY.com/AQUEOUS HOBBY COLOR

Zooberwerx likes this.
  7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Too much money? Hardly.

Drop fills on curved surfaces are time consuming. More time equals more money.

If all someone wants is a little bit of color so the chip is not so easy to notice then "a little dab'll do ya." But don't ask a pro to do it. They have best practices to follow and standards to maintain.

If someone wants the best they should be prepared to pay for it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  8. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Seconding @Turnaround. Also know another gent in the same general area. PM for details if you are still looking for a repair job. And, nice 63 AVRI. I have a 57 and a 62.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018