1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixing Slightly Off Pickguard Hole

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassburner, Apr 27, 2019.

1. bassburner

bassburner

Dec 8, 2008
    Sorry for the crappy picture. This is a 90s Danelectro and that's one of the screw holes for the pick guard. Because it's slightly off the bottom of the pickguard doesn't sit flush with the top. Any tips on a good enough fix?

IMG_20190426_195200.jpg

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I can make no sense of that picture. I think I am seeing the bridge ground and a set of pickup leads exiting the side of the cavity and running off frame. The remainder of the picture makes no sense to me.

Addressing your question; I believe that is cellulose pickguard and short of having a new vinyl one made there is no painless solution. I would explore an adhesive that will stick but peel off your finish with no damage and use that in lieu of screws.
    Glue Dots Removable Adhesive, 0.5" - 60 count

3. bassburner

bassburner

Dec 8, 2008
    I'll try and explain the picture better. That little unpainted indentation near the grounding wire is the screw hole for the pickguard. It doesn't hold the screw anyone so the bottom of the pickguard in the area closest to the jack flops a little.

I was thinking double sided poster tape if I can't actually fix the hole.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  4. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    glue one or more toothpicks in the hole with PVA wood glue. Let it dry then screw into the toothpicks. You can cut the toothpicks to length and dry fit to see how many you need. Probably best to pilot drill before inserting the screw. The ones I've done only needed a single piece of TP. Cut the fine tip off first to get a better fit at the bottom of the hole.

5. bassburner

bassburner

Dec 8, 2008
    I know that trick, unfortunately there is no bottom of the hole. That edge is an overhang so it's really just that 'U' shaped notch in the masonite top.

6. Shape a small piece of wood or dowel to fit what’s there and glue it in. You could also drill the hole out to the next largest dowel size and glue one in. Assuming that all is covered by the pickguard. Bit of refinishing involved if it’s not covered.

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've run into this with control cavities and truss rod covers. Glue a small woodblock to the side of the cavity where the screw hole should be. Clamp it in place and allow the glue to dry. After that, you may have to redrill the hole, but there may be enough there not to matter.

johnson79 likes this.
  8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Okay the solution is a little involved but not difficult. make a patch of wood the sits under the hole and comes out flush with the overhang and glue it in place. Then next day glue another patch in on the new patch AND the Masonite so it is flush with the surface. Day 3, fill the hole using the tooth pick trick. I think you have it from here.

9. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    This is the answer. A small piece of wood should do the trick.