Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fixing stuff is fun

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Aug 12, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Over the last two days I've been taking advantage of some extra time by replacing everything in our toilet except for the tank and bowl including the nozzle and hoses connected to the wall; restoring an old lawn mower for sale by repairing the starter and replacing some parts and then the usual filters, spark plug and oil change (this thing runs sweet now!!); removing, fixing and reattaching my wife's car's bumper which was damaged during an accident; repairing my fence (no, not the famous the Qintar section); taking apart our shower (Which I realized I'm just going to need to buy new fixtures altogether which will have to wait); etc... I've just got this urge to fix stuff and it's fun. It's fun just opening crap up and figuring it out...I don't have any experience in this stuff but figuring it out is the fun part and pretty cathartic. I'm just looking around for something else to fix now. I kind of wish I'd gone into some occupation fixing things or tinkering but maybe I'll teach myself more and get more into that kind of stuff later in life. Who knows... I kind of envy Mike N though.

I think I was blessed with a good head for this kind of stuff. When I took apart the lawn mower starter and all that it was a completely unfamiliar sight but I figured it out and had it repaired fairly quickly. I've always enjoyed taking things apart and looking at how they work even as a small child. I should have gone into mechanical engineering or something but I was way too lazy for such aspirations when I went into college.

That's all. Good day.

brad cook

2. You can come fix my car if you want. I can even pay you two dollars.

:hyper:

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It must be nice to have technical ability when it comes to fixing stuff. I've only been in my house for a few months and already I know I suck at it and don't have a clue :) I won't even hang something on the wall because I'm so horrible.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's what I did. When I was little, I just took everything apart to figure out how it worked. Then, when I was old enough, I helped my dad work on cars, houses, and just about everything else. When I was 5, I could name most major parts of an engine, which has been really useful when I own a 20 year old truck, and a car with almost 200K miles. I have had many jobs fixing houses and cars, and it's been really helpful for paying the bills, and not racking up more by having someone else do the work!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I have a technical mind too. Broken WAY more things than I've fixed when I was a kid, but over the past ten years or so the tables have turned and I find I'm usually doing more good than harm! :)

I work in a hardware store, and give good advice to a lot of customers, and they expect it to be good advice because I wear a blue shirt. Haven't really let anyone down yet.

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm just the opposite, I inherited my fix em up skills from my Father a Great man and lousy Mechanic ( I still miss him) . To give you an Idea I was in my house for three years before I made my first tool investment, "a hammer" got one of them fancy lefty ones. I have some manual dexterity, ( I can play the head to "Spain" and I tie small trout flies) but I've never grasped the concept of "how much force" you can get away with in torquing on a bolt, and I'm always worried I'm going to break something.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sometimes you can score sweet gear too. Like once at my job the electric stapler broke and my boss said I could have it. I took it home and fixed it and my parents still use it to this day.

Ok...maybe that's not really "sweet gear" but whatever...

brad cook

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I agree. It's a good feeling to figure out and repair or make something, even more so when you've never done it before.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, this is the awesome part of being able to fix things. You get hand me downs from people who don't know how to fix stuff, or you can spot a real deal at a garage sale.

My most recent score was one of those Ronco rotisserie cookers. Dude had it at a garage sale, said it didn't work after a couple uses. It looked brand new. I got it for $20. The only problem was that the bars the meat spins on had fallen off the tracks inside the machine. After about 20 minutes, it was in perfect condition. I gave it to some friends as a house warming gift.

-Mike