Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fixing tone

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Mar 16, 2005.

1. things have been going really good for my band as of lately, and we're beginning to record again. there's one problem. this past saturday i miked up our drummer with an sm57 and xlr cable, and it sounds good now, but lately i'm using distortion in my signal and my tone seems like it's crappy now. i've been just lining out from my amp 1/4 inch jack to 1/4 inch jack. usually i can set up my bass sound without distortion to a good balance where i'm not clipping the signal. now i'm using the distortion, and i'm stil not clipping the signal, but it just sounds kinda farty and unclear. i've been doing some thinking and i'm wondering if i get a 1/4 plug to xlr plug if my tone will get better in the recording. my amp has no xlr out, but i'm using a good mixer, and i'm wondering if sending the signal through a 1/4 inch jack to a xlr cable into an xlr jack would remedy this. ideas??

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd be looking closer at the distortion unit. What are you using?

3. Boss odb-3