1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fixing up a Project bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Victor Wooten98, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Well, I just got a 'new' bass (its used, but new to me) So I want to mess around with my old bass.

I just Defretted it Last night, and thats all good, nice and smooth, but I was thinking of some other stuff too. I want to fix up this little piece of junk, it would be much cheaper to put like $200 into this bass, instead of buying a better Fretless 4 string.

I want;

Good Tuners.
    Good Pickups.
    a Good Bridge.

I want to find out what are good brands to get for each item (like Bartolini Pickups or whatever) and How much they cost if you all know.
    Thanks a lot!

2. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Err... You should tell us what kind of bass it is first... :)

3. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Carlo Robelli, Sorry thought I said that already.

4. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    instead of putting $200 into that, pick up a brand new Essex fretless for have of what it would take to fix the Carlo.

5. Used! go Used!

For 2 bills you could get a nice set of J pickups ($50)or P-bass($35) and a preamp (obp-1 - $100, obp-3 - $125, EMG BTC - $50 or less) and have some left over for a date! Maybe even some other gear!

6. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Well, I am just planning ahead right now, I just Purchased a Lakland 55-01. SO I dont have any real 'spare' money, and I think it would be better to fix this up than to just buy another, I was thinking of a Single Bartolini MK1 in the middle, but I have just gotten word about some cheap custom pickups that sound really good, so I dont know.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Your sig is incorrect. The "YOU'RE" should actually be "YOUR". "YOU'RE", is a contraction for the words "YOU ARE".

8. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Thats the idea, its a joke.