Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fixing up a Project bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Victor Wooten98, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Well, I just got a 'new' bass (its used, but new to me) So I want to mess around with my old bass.

I just Defretted it Last night, and thats all good, nice and smooth, but I was thinking of some other stuff too. I want to fix up this little piece of junk, it would be much cheaper to put like $200 into this bass, instead of buying a better Fretless 4 string.

I want;

Good Tuners.
    Good Pickups.
    a Good Bridge.

I want to find out what are good brands to get for each item (like Bartolini Pickups or whatever) and How much they cost if you all know.
    Thanks a lot!

2. Err... You should tell us what kind of bass it is first... :)

3. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Carlo Robelli, Sorry thought I said that already.

4. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    instead of putting $200 into that, pick up a brand new Essex fretless for have of what it would take to fix the Carlo.

5. Used! go Used!

For 2 bills you could get a nice set of J pickups ($50)or P-bass($35) and a preamp (obp-1 - $100, obp-3 - $125, EMG BTC - $50 or less) and have some left over for a date! Maybe even some other gear!

6. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Well, I am just planning ahead right now, I just Purchased a Lakland 55-01. SO I dont have any real 'spare' money, and I think it would be better to fix this up than to just buy another, I was thinking of a Single Bartolini MK1 in the middle, but I have just gotten word about some cheap custom pickups that sound really good, so I dont know.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Your sig is incorrect. The "YOU'RE" should actually be "YOUR". "YOU'RE", is a contraction for the words "YOU ARE".

8. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Thats the idea, its a joke.