fixing up my old MIM jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by calebplaysbass, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. I wanna take my old fender MIM jazz that has basically been beat to death and make it so i wanna play it, cause i just really love passive basses.

    so i'm gonna have the electronics redone, replace the pickups and neck.

    now there's something i've been wondering. is there any replacement parts shop that will make me a replacement neck for this bass with the profile of a Geddy Lee Jazz?
  2. Allparts
  3. pukeboy66


    Oct 23, 2005
    well... i dont know this for a fact but i bet if you send them the specs warmoth could do it, or USACG.
  4. From my expierience, USACG is MUCH more flexible with their customization options as opposed to Warmoth.
  5. pukeboy66


    Oct 23, 2005
    i suppose USACG would be your best bet then.
  6. Doesn't Fender make a Geddy Lee replacement neck?
  7. TyKao


    Jun 29, 2003
    You won't be able to get it without showing that you own a Geddy Lee bass, that the neck is damaged, and that you're covered under a warranty.

    USACG will not do block inlays. Supposedly, they don't have the machinery capability or something. It's rather annoying given the otherwise very flexible and responsive way they treat their customers.

    Warmoth does block jazz necks in set batches. I don't think you can get them customized beyond the original specs. I tried to get a quote for a p-width maple/maple neck with blocks and they told me that they wouldn't do it. Their block necks supposedly have the same profile as your typical 1962 Jazz neck. I'm not sure how much you can shave the neck down without hitting their steel reinforcement rods.

    I think you should get an Allparts neck from some place like or eBay, buy a decal, and have a luthier shave the neck down to the Geddy profile.

    Geddy Lee necks also end up on eBay quite frequently. Do a search.

Share This Page