1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fixing up rat fur. Smell and fuzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by synterx, May 17, 2011.

1. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Bought a used cab and there are big fuzz clumps in places, and it smells like a dog.

So, has anyone successfully de-stunk rat fur cabs? Can you scrub them with soap and water?

I was thinking of trying one of those battery powered fuzz things for clothing.

Proven methods?

2. BLDavis

BLDavis Old enough to know better.....too young to care! Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Not a chance you're gonna get rid of that road kill smell any time soon. Maybe a can of diesel fuel and a book of matches. I've tried everything on the fur and living here in the south, on hot humid nights, I still tried to stay upwind of my rig. Finally swore off rat fur for good. I don't care how good a cab sounds, if its covered in that junk, I wouldn't have it.
    B.

3. synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    It's not too bad, but I'm guessing the fur issue is all related to the cat or dog or wombat or whatever it was. I thought febreze would probably neutralize the smell. But a good scrubbing would make me feel better. Just never had to clean the stuff before.

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Thats my only complaint with my cab. Mine doesnt smell but it does get fuzzy. Im thinking about ripping the carpet off and re tolexing with a white tolex. But thats when I have the extra cash and time.

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I have used battery powered defuzzer.....helps quite a bit
    I used scissors to trim...with good results.
    Cat pee smell....used soapy water / cleaner and a towel...wiped and dryed with towel/ hairdryer.
    Then spray with Fabreze or Lysol.
    Good as new

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
  7. I have one that has lots of dog and cat hair embedded in the rat fur as well as lots of fuzz. I'm thinking about pulling off the rat fur and spraying it with some rattle can bed liner from an auto parts store.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    For pet smells, go to the pet store and find products called "Natures Miracle". I've cleaned up rentals where the tenants had 20+ cats, no joke, the stuff works. Produt at home depot called "Ecoban" works good on various types of funk too.

9. synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Good stuff. I'm going to give the thing a makeover. It's a Genz neox-212 and I have to pull the woofers and add some bracing and cover for the x over anyway, I figured I'd de-smell and fur it too.