Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fixing Wear and Tear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phloes, Mar 23, 2005.

1. phloes

phloes

Mar 23, 2005
    Hello everybody,
    This is my first post. I just noticed as I took off my strings before restringing that my pickups have some pretty bad wear and tear on them. Looks like the strings were used to file them down somewhat. Is this normal? My bass is kinda old so I guess this should be expected, but are there any precautionary measures I can take to prevent this in the future.

Also if anyone has any links to tips for seting up the guitar that'd be guitar, I did look around for the past 15 minutes for a newbie type faq thing about this but I couldn't find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Anyone going to the biscuits this weekend?

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    well that kind of thing is to be expected. As far as preventing in the future, you may want to lower your pickups some to make them farther from the strings, so they don't hit each other. As far as setup goes, go to the "setup" forum and look at the "Stickies" at the top of the page.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    paintandsk8, nice siggy ;)

And yes, the pickup wear is pretty much to be expected. It'll happen on any bass with a heavy attack and high pickup. Wear and tear is normal as long as it's not quite abuse.

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I wondered if you had noticed :D

But anyways, depending on the type of pickup, you may be able to get replacement covers, if it is really bothering you.

(p.s. when you get a chance, fill out your profile, that way we don't to guess what kind of bass it is.)