Flabba Holt sound effect(s)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tightbidness, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Does anyone know what effect of effects Flabba Holt uses on his bass? During some passages his sound gets a bit nasal-y and other times his bass seems to burp and gurgle. It's almost like a subtle, touch-sensitive envelope filter.

"The Voodoo Curse" from Scientist Rids The World of The Evil Curse of The Vampires is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The sound is all over that album and on every other Roots Radics dub albums I've heard.
  2. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    wow this thread is seriously old. I was just watching Flabba holding it down on the Reggae On The River DVD playing with Israel Vibration. Just flat out grooving on his Steinberger. So cool.
  3. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    could it be something like touch wah or a DOD fx25 ?
    im sorry im not familiar with the music.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

All the Roots Radics stuff I have Flabba plays without effects. I don't have that scientist album, but I'm gonna guess it's a dub album...so the effects would all be post-production dub effects, which would be pretty typical for most reggae.
  5. Wow man. I'm going to have to check that out.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have no idea what he's using, but it sounds like an envelope filter from the description. Or maybe one of those Moogerfoogers, which are sort of like a cross between an analog synth and an envelope filter.
  7. It is a dub album and you're probably right. The effect is probably due to Scientist and his dub techniques rather than Flabba. Scientist keeps the bass sound fluid throughout a track.

In the dub reggae issue of Bass Player Flabba mentions using a secret effect on his bass. That may be an envelope like xan mentions.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I hate people who pretend like they have some secret that gives them a much better sound than anyone else. Ty Tabor of King's X used to use a Lab Series amp from the 70's and used to tell people he had a secret to getting his sound. Well a good friend of mine had one of those amps and I recognized the sound immediately. So did a lot of other people. He finally confessed after he quit using it.

You learn what to listen for and you can figure out a lot about what people use. Tightbidness, go play with some effects at the music store. You'll eventually find it if they have a good line of effects.