1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flabby b string issue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Apr 13, 2006.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have built several fretless 5 strings. Most like this one 35" scale with 2 tuners on the left and 3 on the right. This is the first time I have had an issue with the b string. I am using rotosound rs 775LD string with a 130 B string. They are not tapercore but most of mine haven't been. the string rattles on the first 3 "frets". Anything to look at or help to try and diagnose the issue? :confused:
    Thanks ...tom

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    First thing to check would be the bridge, if there are 2 hex screws to adjust height make sure they are both snug and even. I have seen that happen after a string change. The other end of course would be to check the nut, are the new string perhaps smaller guage?
    That's about all I can think of since it's the lowest 3 notes, seems like a low end vibration issue.
    Oh one last thing, are you using strap locks? They can cause issues.
    Good Luck,
    Dirk

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Where is it rattling? Could the 4th fret be high near the B string?

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I will be pulling the strings off of it and will check the fingerboard with a level. It is possible there is a high spot. It won't make me happy :spit: but as long as I can fix it that will be cool...t

5. donno about you guys but all the b strings ive played have been flabby....

:p

just ripping on you five guys...

hey, im hijacking another thread but, does anybody know which came first? the five string electric, or the five string upright?

I think it was the upright, just cause thats what i heard (in some peices you need to play d's and you cant unless youve got a 5th string)

just wondering...

strangely enough, i had a problem like this on my first upright... it had a high spot about at the 5th fret... we had to get it planed down by a luthier... he did a decent job... but the bass still sucked!

so, do a good job! lol