Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flabby b syndrome question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stevo4, Jun 15, 2005.

1. stevo4

stevo4

Jun 6, 2005
    i have a 5 string that is 34" scale, the classic flabby b syndrome i am experiencing. Besides getting a new neck or bass, is there anything i can do to lessen it or eliminate it entirely? Any difference would be awesome. Does anyone know any strings that seem to kind of couteract this i guess u could say. thanks.

2. stevo4

stevo4

Jun 6, 2005
    i have DR hi-beam strings with the b is .125. maybe i'll try getting .130 and see if it changes. I guess its not that bad, it just feels a little loose when i play it but i guess i can get use to it.

3. I would have to agree on the thicker string gauge. I once had the same issue that was corrected by a .135 gauge.

Do you have the option of stringing through the body? That might also help.

I have a Gary Willis book where he talks about using a 'spacer' on a b string before it runs through the bridge. The spacer adds about 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch to the overall length of the string increasing the tension.

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I too had Hibeams on my 34" 5string. The B .125 Hibeam really wouldn't even produce a note. I like the Hibeams for the other stings. I probably would like a Hibeam .135 though.
    I switched to ProSteels .130-.45. & this helped alot. I'm am going to go even larger to .135 .110 .90 .70 .70 see if that helps even more.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It doesn't in fact increase the tension. This has been discussed exhaustively here.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A poorly-intonated string can sound flabby. IME, tapered B strings are easier to intonate.

Regarding DR round-core strings: make sure to follow the instructions in the package, that is, crimp the string before cutting excess length.

+1... spacers or thru-body do not increase tension.

7. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    If the spacer wouldn't work, would a reverse (left handed) in line headstock do the same thing the spacer is supposed to do? If not, why wouldn't it?

8. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    It would do the same thing to tension that a spacer behind the bridge does, yep thats right, nothing.

9. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Now I can move on w/my life.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, it wouldn't, because it wouldn't change the speaking length of the string--the length between the nut and the saddle.

If you search on string tension--maybe in the Setup section? I forget where most of the threads were--you'll find some looong discussions of this.

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    ... spacers or thru-body do not increase tension.[/QUOTE]

What DOES increase tension is discussions about what increases tension.

12. Never have tried "the spacer" idea myself, only a suggestion based on Willis.

13. Really want to increase string tension? - Get a set of Fender flatwounds, the older the better. They're like plucking the bars in the iron railing on your porch. :D