1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flaky gui****

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stilettoprefer, May 30, 2011.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    So we have this incredible guitarist/ singer and lately he's been skipping practices and not communicating with anyone in the group. Today he informed us that he will not going to practice this afternoon because there is a skate competition that he wanted to see.

He has written 2 of our originals (out of 6) and they are important pieces in our set.

Part of me wants to let him go, but part of me wants to keep him in the band (the drummer and rhythm guitarist feel the same way). In any case we have 3 gigs coming up, and need a lead guitarist that knows the songs, so we're not gonna look for another guitarist until those are done.

Any advice on what we should do? So far he thinks that we're cool with his behavior...

2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I'd probably start by letting him know that you're concerned about it.

3. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I'd be looking for a replacement now instead of later. Looking now != finding now. It may take awhile, even well beyond the period covered by the 3 gigs. "Worst" case, you actually do find somebody quickly & you can get them ready to jump onboard after the 3 gigs with little or no down time between guitarists.

4. For some folks ......music is just one of their passions and they want to be able to pursue other things too. If your band is practicing 3 or 4 times a week....or gigging every Friday and Saturday night...that maybe too much. Maybe try to find a more realistic practice schedule that everyone can make. Do more homework on your own and just practice to tighten up or find someone who's musically passions match yours.

5. +1. This is the place to start.

6. How many days per week do you practice? How long are your practices? Are you writing new material that needs everyone present? Or are you just hammering away on the same 6 songs? (And if so, how long have you been playing the same 6 songs? days? weeks? months?)

I have a personal rule that if we're not working on new material, or working on something that everyone needs to be present (i.e. vocalist laying down vocal tracks in the rehearsal space, why would the bassist or guitarist need to be there?), or don't have any immediate gigs (within the month), then any more than once per week is overkill. Even then, the once per week is just a quick rehearsal to stay tight as a group. Practice on your own time. Rehearse on the band's time.

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    We practice once or twice a week and have gigs coming up late June early July and I won't be around for a week prior to the gigs. so we are recording/ finishing up new material at practices, so that I won't be behind everyone else when I get back and have the material to listen to while I'm gone.

He's the lead guitarist and vocals on a few songs.

EDIT: and we called him while we were at practice and told him that we were concerned.... He got mad and cussed at the other guitarist that was on the phone.

8. If the goal was constructive conversation and the resolution of an issue, I suggest calling him during the rehearsal he arranged not to be at wasn't the wisest time to choose.

These kinds of discussions are best had on the bands premises, on the bands time, and in a forum that gives all members equal opportunity to listen to each other and have a say without relying on heresay etc.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    First...never talk about a fellow band member if they are not present to hear what is being said.

Second...the minute it's obvious a band member is no longer interested, start looking for a replacement. Don't wait, the band you save may well be your own. If that member is you, don't sneak out the back door. If you decide to leave, inform your bandmates of your intentions and do your best to cover your old spot until they can fill it. It may require you to bust your hump for a while to make it happen, but the personal satisfaction alone is worth the effort.

Third... Do your best not to burn bridges. Different tastes, or expectations are not wrong, they are just different, and always subject to change. Music may be eternal, but the bands who make it have been and will forever be in a state of constant flux. Embrace it when it's good and enjoy it while it lasts, but whatever you do, never waste a minute on regret for what once was or what might have been. Paths cross and recross in music and it's always more fun to run in to an old friend than it is to pretend someone you know is a stranger.

10. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    +1

People are different some people have one main passion, some have a couple. If he is talented and you get along well with him, then maybe look at how much you are practicing and modify a little bit. I know especially when with younger bands it tends to be hanging out a lot and practicing, maybe your guitarist just needs to pursue a couple other things at the same time.

11. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Kid stuff. Guitar players are plentifull. Look around. This guy may have other ideas also so cover yourselves and realize that we are in a very transient business.

12. Buh-bye!
    When people show you who they are, believe them.
    That he chose something else over practice isn't necessarily bad, we've all rearranged practices to accommodate other events. But waiting till the day of practice to tell everyone he wasn't coming is bullsh*t. Especially if it wasn't because of some kind of emergency thing.

The band isn't as important to him as it is to the rest of you and that's not likely to change. Get through the 3 gigs if you can (he may bail on you for at least 1 of them) but don't book anything else until you can all sit down together and either get on the same page or go your separate ways.