1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flaky musicians? (long and ranty)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by QuelOround, Mar 20, 2009.

1. I think I screwed myself.

I used to just play with my guitarist for fun we'd jam all day write some stuff but he had to move to Chicago, so I decided to find another musical situation. I wanted to be in a band so I started answering ads, asking around, talking to friends.

Long story short. I decided to join a band that my friends had put together with the remains of two broken up bands.

We have a band meeting last Saturday at Hooters at 1 I show up at 1 cancelling other junk because I want to make a good impression (they have way more experience than me). Guitarist and Singer show up at 1:30 and Drummer shows up at 1:45. We talk about everything agree on a location and time for practice. We are supposed to to practice Tues. and Thurs. Everyone is supposed to bring a list of band names to this thing but I'm the only one with a notebook of ideas. I was pretty dissapointed plus they wasted a ton of time drinking.

Tuesday morning drummer cancels practice.... Ok whatever we can make it up on Thursday. But then Thursday rolls around and Singer cancells practice. :meh: Am I wrong for thinking that it's not necessary for every single memeber to be there? I mean would get started teaching each other songs we wrote. Or something, anything.

My brother and his friends have this huge party to showcase their talents they rent a warehouse and invite only like 150 -200 people and they were going to let us play if we got a good set list by then but I don't think we are going to make it if everyone cancels practice just because.

Anyway I think i screwed myself, I should've gone with that other band. I mean they couldn't play as well as these girls but they had passion and they seemed serious. :rollno:

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    sorry to say this but, Ive been through things like this a million times with "bands" and the word IMO that best describes most musicians is "flake". Tell them you are out immediately and move onto something else.

3. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    I agree with jgroh, get out. Any time a band wants to have "a band meeting" as opposed to getting together and actually playing music, I take it as a bad sign. I've tried to start bands before and gone to the likes of Craigslist to find musicians. I would say that out of all the tryouts that one of my current bands set up in the begining, maybe 30% of the people actually showed. I don't know why musicians are so flaky. My theory has always beent that many people like the idea of being in a band and they love to sit around and talk about it but when it's time to put the work in, they're nowhere to be found.

4. Yeah I know you guys are right. I think I'm going to send them a text message, since that's how they canceled practice and set everything up. I don't think they'd answer their phones. Lol.

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Word.

6. Musicians are notorious about being flaky, its is in over half of our blood. I hate it too, as I treat everything with respect.

7. It sucks because these are my friends, and I know they can play I've seen them play. I guess what made their other bands work is that they always had a strong leader that had every one in check. Blah, I do not want to be mother hen to a bunch of irresponsible chicks.

8. every band needs a leader and a front man. With no vision, the body will parrish. A good man wrote that in a pretty popular book.

9. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    While back I got to be the "music co-ordinator" for a little afternoon Jazz concert. Things ran a bit behind, the second act was running about half an hour late, mostly because the vibe player was taking his sweet... precious... time setting his rig up. I'm waiting, waiting, waiting, don't want to rush 'em. Whenever you're ready?

FINALLY it looks like we're good to go. So I get on the mic and make the announcement: thanks for being here, bla bla bla, yak yak yak, and now without further ado, here's the #### #### Jazz Quintet!

I step back and look around. The drummer's off in a corner, not at the set, noodling on a practice pad. No idea I just announced us. Vibe dude isn't even on the stage.

This is precisely why I scarcely ever lead a band. They're all buddies and I love 'em but they have the focus of a bunch of ADD elementary school kids and their only purpose in life is to make the BL look like an *-hole.

10. afromoose

afromoose Guest

I think musicians that meet up in pubs to do music together are like people that meet up in the bathroom to have dinner together.

11. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I can empathize with you.

I played in a few punk and hardcore bands in the late 90s and never had a problem. Getting people to commit when they're young and don't have much else going on I found to be pretty easy. We were all friends and had the same schedules anyway.

Fast forward to being almost 28. I now live in a city where I don't know a lot of people. I am not connected to any "scene" with a large network of musicians...I rely a lot of craigslist and other online ad postings. It has taken me months to get something solid going with 2 other guys and we're attracting musicians, but they're either not as good as they think they are or they're jerks.

There have been times when I want to give up and stay in my music room and play covers I like, but I get a lot of joy and excitement when I play with good players, so I keep searching em out.

I would definitely agree with nightcityburn that over 50% of musicians are flakes who really don't want to do anything with whatever talent that have.

12. Hey I read that book too. Yup showing up for a band meet to set things up at HOOTERS???, I'm sure they were just there for the wings. Then they did not even show up on time??? Bad form brother, then both of the first real rehearsals were canceled by text message??? These girls are obviously not serious about this project, perhaps you should reconsider and move on. You may want to find some better "friends" as well.

13. mr_mofong0

mr_mofong0

Mar 20, 2009
    THIS JUST IN: Musicians are unreliable. Film at 11.

14. It took me forever to find someone I could mesh with, my guitarist. Now that he's gone I have to start all over again. So I figured it would be easier to do it with people I already knew,haha boy was I wrong.... I guess I'm in for another long search. There is nothing like that feeling you get when you play with someone else and things just fall into place and they fit. Everything just evolves so naturally. I guess you can't really force it.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have worked with a particular musician on several gigs, who has consistently, on every occasion, left exactly one vital piece of equipment at home (always a different piece), resulting in having to scurry home, find a drug store (for batteries), or hope that I can find a spare in my car.

16. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    As a commercial artist,there is always going to be weird stuff your gonna walk into no matter what. It's always best to go with good players and deal with their little quirks.

17. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    The way I see it, there are two options. Be a music director or a musician. In one, you organize/motivate/dump musicians in order to get the band where you want it. In the other, you exist to play music as the director wants it - on time and practiced. I've heard that there are bands where everyone is equally responsible for arranging things and no one is the leader, but I've never seen this mythic beast.

18. Ah I just found out they skipped out on me because they are playing with someone else. So I guess they saved me the trouble of quitting... Still the truth would've been nice, I could've gone on spring break with my other friends instead of staying in town and doing not doing anything.

Silver lining I did get a ton of practicing in this past week.

19. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    Maybe it's just me but I never attend band meetings or 'pre-band' meetings unless I'm going to be playing. I've done it in the past and it never leads to anything. If they want to put a band together we/they can decide on the songs and meet in rehearsal to go over them or write new material. Talk is talk. Anyone can meet at Hooters and have wings and drinks.

20. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    They sound like jerks. You are better off.