1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flame maple amp box idea

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by boamedt, Feb 27, 2013.

1. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Would it be overly expensive to place flame maple veneers on an amp box for my trace Elliot v-type 300h? How much do u think it would take? It roughly measures 2 ft x 1 ft x 6 in....I built plenty of boxes but have no experience with veneers :bassist:

inspiration:

lincfront.

2. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Why flame maple? As small as that box is, you could veneer it in something REALLY wild, like Tamo Ash, Pistachio Burl, or Crotch Avodire!

Make the box out of 3/4" MDF with glue and screws. Spread Titebond cold press veneer glue over the MDF, one side at a time, and place the veneer over the glued side. One layer of saran wrap over the veneer (VERY IMPORTANT) and then 2 slightly oversized MDF cauls go over the side getting veneer for even pressure with as many clamps as you can fit on there.

Let each glue up sit for 2-3 hours and when it's all done, sand everything reasonably flat (120 grit). Don't worry so much about the edges chipping out when you sand, because the next step is to rout a rabbet around all edges of the box. Inlay an oversized piece of wood into each of the rabbets around the box using masking tape to clamp, then plane and sand them flush. Now you can use a roundover bit to rout a profile on all the edges to protect the box.

Here are some veneered boxes that I made as components for some tables of my own design: you can see some of the steps I described:

3. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I should mention that the place to get veneers is:

www.veneersupplies.com

Although the raw veneers don't reveal their true beauty until you apply a finish, what you see is what you get, imperfections are noted in the photos, prices are reasonable, and they let you know if the veneers you order are truly flat. Flattening veneer is kind of a pain. I don't mess with anything that's not flat, and if this is your first go-round with veneering, neither should you.

In the last two years I have ordered at least $1000 worth of crotch avodire, Quilted Imbuya (pictured), Kewazinga/Waterfall Bubinga, and Maple Burl.

4. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Thanks for the heads up and info. It's very helpful. I was thinking flame maple because I thought it would be cheaper than some of the more exotic woods...and as I'm sure, just like anything else, I will make another one or two. So I thought it would be cheaper if I screw up lol...first time veneering' and all

5. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    That is the beautiful thing about veneering: you get to incorporate woods into your projects that would be prohibitively expensive to work with in solid form.

If you want to learn more about veneering and see its application in the absolute highest of high-end furniture, check out the following craftsmen:

Frank Pollaro http://www.pollaro.com/

Thomas Schrunk http://www.thomasschrunk.com/

6. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    this is the box, i think, that ls my inspiration

lincfront.