Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flame Maple Fingerboard??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Jun 25, 2002.

1. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Everyone,

I was just fooling around thinking about cool things to do with a bass and I got to thinking: "What if there was a bass with a flame maple fingerboard?" I searched around the internet but didn't really find anything and I was wondering if anyone here has seen a bass with a flame maple fingerboard.

I have seen maple and bird's eye maple fingerboards and checking at the Warmoth site it says they only use flame maple for the neck wood. So is there something wrong with making a fingerboard out of flame maple? Does it not have the right properties to make a good fingerboard?

Thanks for any replies.

2. Sadowsky sells 'em. There are some pics on his website. Check the in stock or sold basses pages. I think there's a blue strat guitar on his site with a flame maple board too. Just to give you an idea.

www.sadowsky.com

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I beleive i may have seen an elrick with a flame board...

4. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I think the problem is not in the properties of the wood but the fact that its very inconsistent

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Here's one on a guitar just made for one of our group members. The neck is hand-made and the flame maple is quarter sawn.

6. I've got one!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Brubaker does flamed and quilted- and will stain them too!