1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flame maple? Quilt maple?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rock-o-Rock, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Rock-o-Rock

Rock-o-Rock

Sep 19, 2008
    Hey, I've been playing bass for 9/10 months, im really good. I play slap bass amongst other things. I played a GSR200 and it sounded perfect. I loved the tone. I beleive you would call it a thin neck. Now i figure the design is really plain, so i tried to see if they had different ones which they do, theres a flame maple top and a quilt maple top. Which one gives you a thin sound? im buying one this friday and i need to know should i just get the regular GSR200 which had a thin sound, the flame maple, or the quilt maple? What do they do to your sound anyway?

much thanks to anyone who helps.

2. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    :bassist:

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    What do they do to your sound? Nothing much. A thin layer of veneer does very little, if anything, to the sound of a bass. At the price point of the GSR200, I would even think it might be photoflame - which means it is actually the picture of woodgrain printed on a piece of paper and glued onto the bass, then covered with clear finish. Even if it's real veneer, it's probably less than 1/32" inch and it won't affect the sound enough for an honest person to be able to tell the difference.

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    They're both maple and won't sound much different. A thin laminate will not make much difference anyway other than looking different.

I generally prefer quilted maple as far as looks, but choosing for the sound? It's not worth it, the differences are minimal.

5. Rock-o-Rock

Rock-o-Rock

Sep 19, 2008
    So basically your saying i can buy the flame maple top and expect the same sound as the regular GSR200?

6. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Yes. It'll look different and that's it.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    yes. A top does nothing for the sound. You've only been playing for 10 months and you're stressing about tone? I'd be more concerned about how the instrument plays, the action and feel - these things are more important to a new musician musician's development then tone - and how pretty a bass is has nothing at all to do with anything but vanity...

I say focus on practicing. Woodshed. Learn some theory. Learn your modes. Learn to arppegiate your modes. All that dull stuff that makes good players good!

8. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC

yep... agreed

9. Rock-o-Rock

Rock-o-Rock

Sep 19, 2008
    i practice every day and if not every day then the next day. Im in love with the bass, but i dont think anyone would be inspired to play a bass that sounds like crap. and now i know thanks to you guys that i shouldnt worry about a flame maple or a quilt maple.

So thanks a lot my question has been answered i really didnt ask for criticism.

10. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    welcome to talkbass!

good luck with your new bass man! keep on keepin on!