1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flame-On! Greasebucket Praise!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

Some love it, some hate it, but I must say that I personally really dig the new(ish) greasebucket circuit on my American P Special. I play on a lot of hollow-stages and it helps cut down on the "woof" factor, while still sounding like a P when backing-off the tone knob some. So there you have it.....I dig it! :hyper:

2. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I see no reason to flame you, Fred. you're a nice guy. but here's a bump so others can berate you.

3. I like it, too. :) I've modelled the tone circuit in my Affinity after it. Really helps the 1/4-pounders to not get too fat.

>.<

4. Quadzilla

LLMFAO

5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    What, really, is the difference between the Greasebucket tone circuit and the regular tone circuit?

I mean, both the difference in how it's wired, and the difference in the sound.

6. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Well, StuartV is asking the wiring difference but I'm remarking, "what is the difference?" I had a HYW I Jazz Bass with the so called, grease bucket tone thing and I heard absolutely no difference between it and a standard tone pot on my other J Bass!

Whatever!

7. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Mississippi
    No issues with it on my Am. Sp. Jazz

8. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    From what I understand, all it does is remove the low mid boost you get when you roll the tone all the way off. It seems like you could get pretty much the same effect on a normal tone knob by rolling off a little less.

9. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Doesn't bother me at all on my Hwy One Jazz. * shrug*

10. Quadzilla

Exactly. It seems to lower the frequency that tends to resonate on hollow stages. It does not make a P sound thin either. I think it's great.

11. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I wondered about the wiring myself. I read it involves another cap and a resistor added to the Volume pot.
    Is this pretty much a greasebucket circuit from MojoTone? It is their standard wiring kit.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-part...z-Bass-Guitar-Wiring-Harness-Kit#.UnzP1_msinA

Looks standard with the exception of the "volume mods cap and resistor".

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Here's the Greasebucket schematic for those interested in how it's wired compared to standard (from the SGD Lutherie site).

greaasebucket.

13. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Interesting. Thanks, mongo!

I'm tempted to buy a couple of parts and just try it out. I added a tone circuit (exactly as shown on the left) to my SB-2. It would be easy enough to change that around to work like the diagram on the right. Hmmm....

14. I hate reading diagrams like this. -_- They always make me think I'm supposed to put a lead in the middle of the resistor.

15. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    They just make me feel dumb because I have no idea what they're saying. :atoz:

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The resistor with the arrow in the middle is the pot itself. A pot is a variable resistor. So the arrow signifies that the signal could be anywhere in the range from the minimum resistance of the pot to its maximum. We call it a "wiper"in many cases. So there actually IS a lead in the middle of the resistor so to speak. But it is one of the terminals on the pot. That's what the knobs on your bass do. They increase or decrease resistance as you turn them.

Short version: The pot moves that arrow up and down the resistor (in an over simplified kind of way).

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Here's a question. How do you know (other than opening the thing up) which ones have it and which ones don't? (My 2008 Precision V for instance.) I've never really put any thought into it.

18. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    The tone circuit on the G&L SB-1 is similar to the grease bucket. It essentially only lets you roll the tone most of the way off to avoid the shift in the resonant peak. I find that it also means I have a more usable range of tone settings.

wwwglguitarscomschematicsSB-1_schematic_blockdiagrampdf-GoogleChrome_2013-11-08_11-14-44.

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That's probably because there is a lead in the middle of the variable resistor which goes to what's called the "wiper" contact which is designated by the arrow.

20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    as equipped stock from the factory:

... Highway 1's from about July of '05 until 'upgraded' to Highway Ones in '06, and then until the model was eliminated ...

... American Specials from the time of introduction to present ...

however, if purchased used, modifications may have been made and/or the GreaseBucket Circuitry may have been eliminated so yes, you would need to look in the control cavity ...